Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flea PUP Config

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZenBass, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Just been tallkin to a fellow bass buddy, shes thinkin about getting a Modulus Flea...but there a few different pup configs...we cant get hold of one apart from the MM placement that has an Agullia OP3 Preamp in it

I knows theres

J/J
    MM/J
    MM

Which is best do u reckon for a go0od all round pumpin bass..she usually plays rock/indie/metal ...great lil bass player..but wants to cut and cut and cut..ive said the MM is a good all round config as it in sweet spot..

2. I just put one on order a few weeks ago and I don't have it yet, but mine is coming equipped with a basslines pickup (MM) and an agular OBP-1 preamp. From what I've heard, its a really good setup that way. Before the only dealer that carried modulus guitars around here went out of business (mars music), I was able to play one with the bartollini pickups, I wasn't a big fan of the bartonlini but the bass felt PERFECT when playing. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with a flea bass.

Order from bass central, they have really great customer service.

FunkyMonkCP

3. I'd go with the MM/J configuration. My MTD Heir has that setup, and I can get a lot of sounds out of it.

4. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I suggest finding one with the Lane Poor pickup in it. VERY rare but VERY worth it! I recently acquired one by luck and I will never get rid of it.

Andy

5. I second the MM/J option. My FNA Jazzman does everything I could need it to do. It's a great setup for recording too.

6. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I'm with the MM/J also. You can solo the MM pickup, put them both together or split the MM and have a Jazz configuration. It can't go wrong.

7. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    doesn't the mm pickup get pushed closer to the bridge on flea's with the j pu added? i've never seen or played one in that configuration, but to me it looks like it does, and wouldn't that change the sound?

8. It would, but it wouldn't be something that adding a little bass or blending in the neck pup couldn't fix.

9. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I use a Flea, standard SD Basslines MM configuration with an Aguilar OBP-1. The guitarist in the band has a pretty thick, bottom-heavy tone, and the drummer likes his cymbals, and the Flea can sit right on top of that mix if I want it to. In my particular case, I think there would be a pretty fine line between an extra Jazz pickup thickening the bass tone and muddying up the whole band mix, so I think you'd have to use it carefully. And I think you would need it with the MM pickup being pushed back closer to the bridge.

I'm sure the two-pickup configurations are more versatile, but the standard MM configuration is tried and true, and I think its going to get you the most cutting tone.