1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flea: this generations Jamerson/McCartney/Lee?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by powellmacaque, Jun 21, 2007.

1. I just wanted to see how you guys predict TBer's from the future would talk about Flea. I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a Flea-aholic, but I must admit, he's brought bass to the masses.

I personally don't consider him a virtuoso or anything, but he does make nice, grooving "lead bass" lines, and he is a pop icon for the bass. I think in a few years he will be viewed not so much as a pioneer, but probably as one of the most influential bass players of this generation, and maybe even any generation.

2. I would agree. I dont like calling him "this generations Geddy", It makes me feel old; which i am not.

3. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I agree. With the rate that RHCP is kareening into rock history and longevity - Flea is one of the most influential of all time - but that's because he does more than play the bass, which puts him into critical territory.

Think about it - Sir Paul played the bass - but who honestly knows him as only the bass player for the beatles?

You really can't look at this through the rosy colored - "I'm a bass player" glasses - you have to look as the issue of Pop influence from those that do NOT play the bass.

Flea is simply more recognizable as a bass player than most - and that gets kids to pickup the instrument.

And for those of you who really want to feel old - RHCP will be eligble for Rock Hall induction in two years.

4. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    You guys really need to listen to more bass players. lol

5. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    How do you mean, T?

6. Cygnusx2112

Cygnusx2112

Feb 20, 2006
    I agree that he is bringing bass to the masses, but don't ever try to put him up there with Geddy. No. Not gonna happen.

7. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    Just because The Chili Pepper's music doesn't call for crazy-intricate off time lines doesn't mean that Flea's ability isn't on par with Geddy Lee or any other bass player. I think the bass world needs to just admit that he's a great player in a great band.

8. Cygnusx2112

Cygnusx2112

Feb 20, 2006
    His lines are repetitive after a while. Ged's are not. (Listen to Red Barchetta, Far Cry, YYZ...)

9. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    You know Geddy is still alive right?

10. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    Lots of people call that repetition a hook, every good groove should have a hook IMHO, thats one of the reasons I can't really get into rush.

Say what you want about Flea as a technician - but he writes great pop hooks and thats what he will be remembered for one day.

As always JMO.

11. Cygnusx2112

Cygnusx2112

Feb 20, 2006
    No, my point is is that those lines are completely different from each other.

12. Cuz the bassline for Californication sounds SO MUCH like Hump de Bump.

13. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    + don't forget all of his other work with Jewel, Alanis Morissette, The Mars Volta etc etc etc.

de-loused in the comatorium - has some inspirational bass lines, the best Mars Volta effort so far IMO.

Dale.

14. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    I don't agree, of course individual bass players will always have a commonalities between track but if you listen to his early work Uplift Mofo / RHCP through Blood Sugar then onto By the Way, I believe that he used all that he learn't along the way in Stadium Arcadium.

15. Rocknrolljunkie

Rocknrolljunkie

Jan 29, 2006
    I dont see how..

16. Cygnusx2112

Cygnusx2112

Feb 20, 2006

I was refering to Geddy. I think that a lot of the RHCP lines are too repetitious, which I strongly dislike.

17. Rocknroll, I was being sarcastic.

I wish they had a sarcastic smilie face or symbol for the internet...

18. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    really, you couldnt tell he was being sarcastic.....

Flea is deffinitly a big influence in this generation of bass playing, he's does alot with the bass, he uses his imagination and has an open mind which i like pretty much more than anything in a player

19. Pete C

Pete C

Feb 23, 2007
    New York
    Flea is one of the best out there. That being said though, he is not Jamerson, McCartney or Lee. It impossible to compare him to any of them because he sounds nothing like any of them. His big thing is bringing slap bass into mainstream rock. Also, any of those players (aside from McCartney who is not my favorite on bass, although I think him an amazing composer) is a much better groove master than he is. I would say on a whole different level, but there is a difference.

20. cash87

cash87

Jun 26, 2006
    Louisville Ky
    I enjoy listening to both bass players and both bands. As much as you may disagree Cygnus, Flea will be but up there with Geddy. I understand where you are coming cause Geddy does have more complex lines, but that doesnt mean hes more of a musician. Both bass players create lines for their type of music and it works.

Flea is still growing as a bass player which anyone can tell from their first album to what they are playing now. Either way, just because you may not like his style or RHCP, you cant deny his growth and skill.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021