1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flea: this generations Jamerson/McCartney/Lee?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by powellmacaque, Jun 21, 2007.

1. ArmyPunkGuy

ArmyPunkGuy

Dec 25, 2006
    this argument is pointless..........to me McCartney is dull and boring but to somebody else is is a freakin God.
    To me what makes a bass player good is how good of a team player he is and how well he holds the low end, not how intricate his lines are

2. I wasn't talking about who was better, I was wondering if he will be as iconic to bass players, musicians, and the common listener as McCartney was.

I really have to compare Flea best to Geddy (not technically or sound), because they are the only two bassists that I can think of (of course you guys will think of guys that I stupidly forgot) who made bass a legit instrument (to the mass population), not just a guitar's little forgotten brother.

I personally like McCartney as a musician, and I respect his bass playing, but that's just my opinion.

3. Do you guys mean in the context of the bass playing communities or general public? Because in the general public more people under 40 know who Flea is more than they know who Geddy is. I don't have numbers to back that up, but I dare you to find numbers that say otherwise or better yet, go up to anybody and ask them who Flea or Geddy Lee are. Flea is already an icon whether we like it or not.

4. Well, in all fairness, to know that a bass player is a good bass player, you have to be a bassist first.

Before I started playing bass, I knew who Flea was, and I knew who Geddy Lee was, but it wasn't until I started playing bass that I realized how good they were (I always knew they were unique, because I could hear the bass more in their recordings).

5. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    I'm not one of those people who shout "Flea iz teh best bassist evar!!!11!!"

But to to deny his ability, as well as his contributions to music and bass itself is blasphemous. As for the repetitive lines argument, his most repetitive lines are in songs where Anthony has more prominent rap lines than actual vocals. I'd rather hear the line from Sir Psycho repeated for nearly 8 minutes than to hear the same rooted 8th notes for 3 minutes (Blink, FOB, etc.). His parts are for the most part fun and interesting, especially when you compare them to most of today's music.

6. hey now, blink had rooted AND fifth 8th notes:p

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nonsense. All you have to know is that you are moved by the music.

I think Flea won't be this generation's McCartney or Lee, but he'll be this generation's Flea.

8. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Are you implying Sir Paul wasn't a team player?

His stuff on Dear Prudence is very imaginative without overshadowing. I doubt if anyone else would have come up with that.

9. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

While Flea is a good bass player, he is not even in the same league with Jamerson or McCartney. The RHCPs are technically excellent and their music is fun, but I doubt their music will still be listened to in 50 years, while Motown and the Beatles will still be all over the radio (or the Internet, whatever replaces radio in 50 years). Many of the lines McCartney and Jamerson wrote for various songs are truely masterpieces.

10. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    I know I'll be listening to the chili peppers in 50 years, and I can't be the only one.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Peppers have proved their staying power. I think their music WILL be listened to in 50 years.

12. cash87

cash87

Jun 26, 2006
    Louisville Ky
    +1 I will be listening to it...ill be 70 tho

13. Flea's the greatest bassist who couldn't play, EVER!

Seriously, aside from a couple of cool lines, I'm not all that impressed....

but, hey....I'm entitled to have a negative opinion about Mr. Fruito DeLoomo

14. reniwren

reniwren

Mar 4, 2005
    Ireland
    All I can say is he wouldn't go in my list of recommendations

15. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    thats it right there. IMO timing is EVERYTHING in the music industry...

16. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Inactive

Jan 11, 2006
    Flea is good, but I honestly can't see people freak out over him so easily.

17. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA

Jimmy, you nailed it.
    why does everything have to go back to jamerson or jaco or geddy or squire or whoever?

flea is cool. maybe not the best, but i didn't think there was ever such a thing as "the best".....

18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I would say he is very much the Jamerson of the 90's (at least on the pop music scene). of course, that is, for his effect on popular bass playing, I'm not trying to say he sounds like Jamerson!

19. I'd say Flea is more like bootsy collins. And Victor Wooten is like a meld of stanley clarke and Larry graham

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Word! :rollno:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021