1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flea: this generations Jamerson/McCartney/Lee?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by powellmacaque, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Gotta realy agree with you there.

While Flea probaly being the best SLAPPER of the Two :p

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    And then Jonas Hellborg/Mark King/Stuart Hamm et al come along and make Flea's slap game look like that of a chimp.

3. Pete C

Pete C

Feb 23, 2007
    New York
    And then Wooten and Claypool sneak in through the back...

4. Along the lines of the original poster's proposition...

Flea is certainly influencing hordes of today's bassists, much as the others did. His playing is having a wide ranging influence on other bass players.

Whether you admire the guy or not, many do, and many people are more aware of what a bass is because of him and the success of RHCP.

There's little point in getting into some "who is better" argument. And of course there is no comparison among the styles anyway...

5. I had the honor of sitting in on a photo shoot with Flea and upright bassist Charlie Haden. What really struck me in listening to their conversation was that Flea had a working knowledge of bebop jazz that was on par with Haden. It occured to me that much of what he does musically is heavily influenced by that style of music and its icons.

He's a pretty smokin' trumpet player too.

6. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    [​IMG]
    No question Flea is a very good musician (+1 on the trumpet-playing -- that's the instrument he started on), but in no way can you compare him to the others you mentioned.

7. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    i think geddy is this generations geddy.

8. I think he will be this generation's Jamerson/McCartney/Lee in the sense that he is such a widely influential player. I wouldn't compare styles, but I wouldn't compare any two bassists' styles. Like it or not, though, he will be remembered as a bass player who showed everyone that bass players didn't have to be the guy in the dark corner, better heard and felt than seen.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What a g-d stupid thread. I can't believe that I tried to contribute to it intelligently. All of you who feel the need to s--- on Flea because his playing isn't up to par with Victor Wooten should try to play the bass line to "C'mon Girl" off Stadium Arcadium, and then tell me he's not that good. And besides, who gives a crap if there's someone else who can play better than him? I'm not even that big a Flea fan, but it's absolutely ridiculous to judge music on how hard it is to play. Wankers judge music on how hard it is to play. However, using my ears, I hear plenty that Flea does that's hard to play, and I'm not getting why people don't see it, unless they judge Flea's abilities on "Aeroplane" and "Under the Bridge." Which I think they do.

The "Delete thread" option should be returned to Talkbass so the original poster can save a little face and delete this sham of a thread.

10. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    And who do more people want to listen to?

I think the answer is obvious.

11. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    + 1 Kazillion - well said.:ninja: :ninja:

12. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    I can't be arsed with popular music nowadays. Where are the real bands? The heroes, the awe insipring musicians? In the current tepid state of popular music, he stands out for sure. And in my opinion, his best work was with BSSM, by a long shot, and that's more than 15 years ago!

I guess he is not a bad example to follow. Hell, he is the bass player I've been following the most. I worship BSSM. He seems like a great guy, and lives for his art. Yeah sure, tere are more creative players, funkier brothers, more technically gifted bassists, but in the popular/rock music genre, he stands pretty much alone at the moment.

He is the right guy to keep the fire burning, until we get another outstanding bass player that masses of aspiring kids can relate to. But we're strangely short of 'stadium' bands like we used to get. It's all disposable punk rock and teen sensations. RHCP is as big as they get nowadays.

13. The OP just asked if Flea is and will be an influentual player as jamerson was/is. not who's the best. read the first post with your eyes open:rollno:

14. If you ask an average non-musician (under age 40) who Jaco Pastorius, Geddy Lee or James Jamerson were, they would have no friggin idea...but they probably know who Flea is...and what instrument he plays. Flea has gotten far more people into playing bass than Jaco ever did. So, IMO, he's very important to the bass playing community.

15. Akami

Akami Four on the floor Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Hmmm.... posts like this make the poster look like a chimp :D

Really man, they're all musicians and it's unlikely any of them would care much for the judgementalism shown in this thread.

To each his own, and nothing gained by knocking them down.

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Not at all, you cretin :p . You seem to be woefully misinformed, I actually respect Flea and like his playing and his tone-but his slap game isn't the best, or even very good at all.

17. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    this entire post is in large print so that it MIGHT reach through your deaf ears and thick skulls.

ALL* BASSISTS ARE GOOD! these comparisons are pointless. take each player for what they are. if you dont like it, DONT GET INTO A FLAME WAR!*

*with the exception of Pete Wentz. with him, go for it.

18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    How did I know Pete Wentz was going to appear in your post as the exception?

I might start a thread....

"Is Pete Wentz the Hoppus/Fieldy/JPJ of this generation?"

19. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    he isnt the Fieldy/JPJ/Hoppus. those people play NOTES, they dont strum the bass noisily.

20. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Fieldy clack, but yeah, i agree they are different :p

JPJ = John Paul Jones, no? I have lost something here apparently?

BUt i gotta agree, we gotta know that by all luck not every bassist sound like each other, i would hate to live in a world where all bassists sounded like wooten, becouse IMO, that is boring and not fun to listen to, in My Very Honest Opinion, i feel that musicians wich i can listen to and realy enjoy their music FOR ME is better than anyone whos simply super technical..

edit:
    I'll Spell check later, im not arsed to do that now :p so dont comment any bad sentence buildings :p

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021