1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flea: this generations Jamerson/McCartney/Lee?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by powellmacaque, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Agreed, and I would add that Aeroplane and Under the Bridge are two of the basslines that really showcase why he shouldn't be viewed as a chops monster and instead be seen for everything he brings to the table. Groove, melody, you name it...

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    +10000

Influential? Writes interesting stuff? Great team player? Absolutely.

Iconic in the sense of Jamerson or McCartney? No freaking way. Geddy Lee isn't either, but he's closer than Flea is for sure.

How old is the OP of this thread anyway?

3. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Finally! Someone besides me has said this..maybe its all the thunderous vibrations coming from neil's neighborhood that makes his voice sound...well, like his voice. (now, this is called a joke, which during a "discussion" is completely acceptable. If you're not laughing, you don't get it)
    And I enjoy Rush's music(oh yeah, I have the VINYLS)...but since when did they become an "iconic" band? There's people in Canada who still don't know who they are(little help from the canadians with that statement please). But in the end, this is just my thoughts on the subject, which I'm entitled to...

When will people learn that there is nothing definet or definitive about any art? It is subjective an abstract. 10,000,000 people can comment on it and they will all be right and they will all be wrong.
    When will the "know it all" high school kids finally realize they don't know it all? Its going to be a hard day fellas, but you'll get through it.
    This website is called TalkBass, discussions are allowed and encouraged. Which is exactly what they are, discussions. Nobody has the power on this site to make anything an act of congress so there's no need to get upset about anything. And if you're not really upset and you're a "know it all" who has nothing better to do than be a pot-stirrer, go spend your time wanking at a guitar center or do something useful for the world besides annoying people.

cheers

4. The side to his playing that's more Jameson influenced (you can also hear it in some of the older stuff, too) is the side that influenced me as a player.

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I gotta disagree here.
    I'm trying to think of a player that the under-30 crowd knows better than Flea. Possibly Claypool, but even then the Chili's are more well known (and usually liked) than Primus or various Colonel side projects.
    I don't practice or cop Jamerson or McCartney tunes usually. Hell I don't even listen to McCartney cause most times he's not playing bass nowadays! :p
    Ask your average person "my age" (under 30) to play the first lick that comes to mind, or even better the first slap riff that comes to mind. It's gonna be something Flea's done more times than not.
    He definitely is "this" generation's Jamerson or McCartney, and by a good means. Just b/c he's still alive or not 75 with an Ensure IV tapped in doesn't make him any less such... ;)

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I don't think age by itself has anything to do with it, but it's really too soon to say with Flea. McCartney and Jamerson's stuff has had decades to influence people. Flea's influence is going into decade number two at best. That's all I'm saying.

And while you may not be copping McCartney or Jamerson, it's a fair bet that the way you're playing would be quite a bit different if not for those guys. They are an indirect influence even if you aren't learning their licks. I'm not convinced that the same could be said of Flea, even if you're slapping a lot (see also: Larry Graham).

For what it's worth, I've been an enormous fan of Flea ever since Mother's Milk came out and I haven't run into many bass players who haven't at least enjoyed his stuff. I'm not saying he won't be an icon eventually, just that it's a bit much to suggest that he's at that level already.

7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Understandable.
    I just think in relation to the OP and in regards to "this" generation, the last 10-20 years, I say he could be at the top.

All-time, well, he's not done yet but he's still got some good years left in him, if Stadium Arcadium is any hint of where their writing is going.

8. The thing that sparked this was just the fact that Flea is an icon already, not only as a bassist, but as a pop icon.

I was in the dentist's the other day, and I told the guy I played bass, and his exact words were "Are you as good as that Flea guy from the Chili Peppers?". He was at least in his mid-forties.

I'm not trying to insult anybody's favorite bassist by starting this topic, or have a "____ is better than ____" match. I think a few people took my post out of context. We need to stop getting so defensive of our favorite bassists here. I'm not trying to knock JPJ, Lee, Enthwistle, McCartney, Squire, or Jamerson as anything less than what they are, and that's iconic.

I'm only 17, so I can't say what happened before my time. All I know is, at least everybody in my area, knows who Flea is, whether they're a musician or not. He didn't get that way because he's overly attractive ;).

Oh, and a note to the "500 slap notes a minute" comment. How can you say that is a bad thing when talking about Flea, but be a Victor Wooten fan? (I like Wooten too by the way)

9. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Watch, young Padawan. This was 10 years before the first RHCP record. And yes, this isn't live, but check the Sly and the Family Stone clips--he could play live, while doing choreographed dance moves.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z1IuD6F3R5I&mode=related&search=

BTW, no hating on Flea from me. I saw RHCP live in '86, one of the greatest performances by a band I've ever seen.

10. as i said before in a past thread, you have to look at how the instrument was played before Jamerson.. and you will realize, the whole dynamic of how a rhythm section functions had changed in the advent of what Jamerson was doing..by 67' you hear and feel his influence throughout the entire spectrum of what is to come, in recorded popular music..and not so popular music. JAMERSON MADE THE RHYTHM SECTION KING...we all know that Flea is a damn good player.. but he has not changed the face of music, or how the instrument is approached... do your research..as did Flea..and you'll see, what he does.. its all Jamerson, Grahm, Louis Johnson, and Bootsy Collins. which is not anything new or revolutionary to established players in the know......Flea's work (mostly)lies within the limited vocal scope of Anthony Kiedis and the RHCP, which is a miniscule fraction compared to all the legendary vocalist Jamerson's recorded output was responsible for.. not even Chalie Parker, Jimi Hendrix, nor Miles Davis, is in the same league with this guy.....

11. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    I think where Flea becomes revolutionary is in the style of the BAND (Red Hot Chili Peppers) No band sounded like them before, no band sounds like them now. Flea's playing has a lot to do with it. They made it ok to be different, and managed to keep doing it for over 20 years. I think that says something.

12. Tommy el Gato

Tommy el Gato

Jul 6, 2007
    RHCP's style may be unique to an arguable degree, but Avant Guarde has been in existence since the dawn of music.

My personal opinion on Flea: He's got presence and he certainly has become an icon. Unfortunately, that's about all I can say about him. I find that his music is nothing more than pop. Of course, that's merely my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

13. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Well, the rise of punk rock is what really led to "different" becoming more accepted in rock's more mainstream circles--not just shorter songs and political lyrics; a number of other styles filtered into rock'n'roll. And several bands connected to the punk rock scene were already incorporating funk into their music before RHCP, including the Gang of Four (whose guitarist produced the first RHCP album) and the Minutemen.

Where RHCP and Flea get some credit is in popularizing that style. Influential, yes. But innovative and revolutionary? No, IMO.

14. I'm 18 and picked up the bass 4 years ago. I'm not as far along as I could be, but I've got a grasp of theory and I can play a variety of styles and songs.

This is probably blasphemy, but I dont know anybody you just listed (aside from hendrix and miles davis, and I dont like davis that much). I can't stand the beatles or Jaco. What I have heard of Geddy hasnt really been my choice of music to listen to.

I really like flea. His basslines are fun and ejoyable to play and listen to.
    He will be remembered. Probably more so that anybody else to people my age.

just my 2 cents.

15. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I was 18 in the early '80s, and frankly I didn't know who Jamerson, Graham or Johnson were at the time. (I had vaguely heard of Bootsy.) You'll learn more about these guys as you get older, I'm confident of that.:cool:

16. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    You have some homework to do, my friend. You'll learn...

17. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    After Stadium arcadium there was a majjority of bass players in my music class at school. Everyone sucked while trying to slap like flea..
    It's rely fun watching someone that dont know any bases of playing.
    They only know slap. Realy lame.. Narowminded maybe?..

18. everybody is different!!!..and Parliament/Funkadelic pre-dates punk and some of the RHCP's band concepts by at least 12 or more years....and P Funk is still doing it..after 40 years...

19. Wasn't Jamerson playing pop in the 60s? ;)

20. to the whole rock/pop oriented indeviduals, I would have to agree. Like McCartny, he is known to the masses. Like he's on MTV, pop radio aso. He's also got a good groove going on. But IMO I wouldn't call him a pioneer who contributed alot to the evolution of the relativly new instument, the E-Bass, in comparison to others. (like Victor Wooten or Steve Baily have, just to name some, I'm not comparing or anything of such)

JMO
    lexx

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021