Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flea - up-to-date pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the low one, May 19, 2003.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    The following pic from thr RHCP website shows a distant pic of Flea's pedalboard with a BOSS ODB-3 clearly visible. Anyone have any better or more close up pics?

2. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    RHCP are known to move around a lot on stage, how can you be sure that Flea isnt simply standing in front John Fruciante's pedal board after jumping around? That could very well be a Boss OD pedal.

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The 3rd (?) one over looks like an EHX box, probably a Q-tron.

4. Flea stands on stage right(left if your looking from the audience) and the wedge just to the left of him in the photo is facing away from him which you would assume is the middle of the stage, therefore it is fleas board otherwise they have a monitor directed of stage away from John.

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    John's board is much much bigger. That's Flea's.

Alex

6. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    that is fleas, i have a rhcp video, and thats HIS mic stand, its sideways, plus the monitor is facing anthony (singer) not john, so flea is in his place and those are his pedals

any other questions?

7. poddar

poddar

Jun 24, 2002
    Q-tron - MXR micro amp(booster) - boss odb3 (right to left)

saw it on tv

8. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Listening to Flea live recently you realise how much natural bass sound gets into the mix and how much effected sound. He, and all pro bassists really in my experience, tend to keep a lot of the original bass tone, and just add effects for colour on top. For example in 'Around The World' you could hear the fuzz from the ODB3 but the original tone of the bass was still driving the sound.

9. Stinkray

Stinkray

Oct 6, 2003

Well,Low One, maybe that´s because the ODB3 has a Balance Knob, that blends the original signal with the driven one.

See ya

10. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    You're quite right, and that's why I use one too.

11. zeh

zeh

Jul 11, 2003
    Lisbon , Portugal
    I saw red hot chili peppers 2 times in lisbon this year , and flea only used , a homemade boost , boss odb-3 and electro harmonix bass balls , Im 100% sure about this , cause I was 1 meter away from stage :cool:

Flea Ownz :cool: :bassist:

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    sure it wasnt a Q tron...?

13. zeh

zeh

Jul 11, 2003
    Lisbon , Portugal
    I also went to the RHCP Back in 99 on the californication tour and back then flea used a q-tron and a bunch of other pedals (I remember.. Boss Dynamic Filter,Dunlop Bass Crybaby wah-wah, DOD/FX25 Envelope-Filter etc..) But this year , cause they were only 3 , it was pretty easy to check them out , so Im sure it was a Bass balls (the black one , with blue fonts ) :cool:

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    soudns like your talking about one of the EBS blue pedals. a bass balls looks like this:

[​IMG]

unless its a russian one, and i think flea probably has enough money to buy the real deal.

did what u saw look like this?:

[​IMG]

of course, i know im talking about the reissue bass balls. i dont know what the original vintage ones looked like they could have been black with blue fonts. so... can anyone shed any light?

15. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    and were you close enough to see what settings he was using on each pedal?

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    that bassballs is a russian one... i very much doubt he would use a russian one. . . i probalby am wrong ( i seem to be alot these days )

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Ruskie and Yankee EH pedals sound different. I actually had one of each of the Big Muff at one point, the American was a little warmer sounding, but the Russian still sounded great. If Flea found the Russian to better suit his tone, that's probably what he's using.

18. zeh

zeh

Jul 11, 2003
    Lisbon , Portugal
    The low one , I really , really , I mean , reallyyyy tried to check the settings out , cause I have a Boss odb3 , and I really wanted the "around The world" sound but I had no luck... :(

19. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    is it supposed to be a secret that Flea uses an ODB-3 or something?

from what I can remember reading, he also uses (as someone already stated) a DOD envelope filter, an MXR M-133 microamp (homemade boost?)... I have read that he has used a Q-Tron, don't know if he uses it regularily... he also uses Electro-Harminox bassballs, and that is how one of their songs (cant remeber which one) was made up, coffee shop maybe.. he was sitting in Hawaii playing with it and walla... I read somewhere that he used that newer Boss aw3 autowah pedal but i bet he switched from it cause I know I dont care for it all that much.

cant wait to go see them in a couple weeks, been waiting my whole life :).. I got tix for the pit too, so I will try and get a looksies at his pedal board ;)