Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

flea vs. burton

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bigbass611, Dec 15, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbass611

bigbass611

Jul 14, 2000
    1. who do yall think is better, gimme some opinions
    2. what is the ONE work by each artist that shows off
    all the skill that they posess?
    Mark

2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I think Flea is better..I have only seen Cliff solo onceand that is from Cliff´em all and I´ve heard Anesthesia...I´ve only SEEN Flea solo once, on the Psychedelic Sexfunk Live From Heaven tape, but I´ve heard him solo like 1000 times or something

3. Their styles are too different to really say who is better. They are both gifted musicians. Cliff wasn't into the slap/pop aspect of playing, but he had great compositional skills and I feel that was his forte.
    Cliffs best work, compositionally anyways, was the Master of Puppets CD. Unfortunately Cliff is no longer with us to see how he would have matured as a musician. Could you imagine a Cliff Burton instructional video!?!...."What is this, like Thai or sumthin'" ;-)
    Fleas best work, both playing and compositionally, is the Blood Sugar Sex Magic CD.

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    well this is an unfair poll, because cliff only showed up 3 or 4 years of playing and Flea has a lot of time playing.

And they are soooo diferent, we can´t compare:
    metalheads guys would choose Burton (he´s the man)
    slap-pop-funkers would go for Flea

I like them both each in it´s own genre.
    maybe if Burton stayed a little longer....

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Y'know, I doubt that. I'd say they'd go for Marcus Miller. :D

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i was talking about who would the funkers choose between burton and flea!!....

of course funkers prefer other great guys much better than flea (Bootsy, Graham, etc)

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I know, I just couldn't miss an opportunity to be picky. :D

8. bravotwozero

bravotwozero

Jan 13, 2001
    flea gets my vote, 'nuff said.

=]

9. Burton gets my vote on this one.....I personally don´t like what does...I usually get tired of listening to RHCP. Although I admit that he´s a descent player.

10. Which do you think is better, Apples or Oranges?

(get the point)

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    What's better, a Spector or a Sadowsky?

Some things tou jast can't say one is better than the other. They're both great bassists. One played metal, one plays funk/rock. They had totally different approached to their bass playing.

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Didn't see this till I read my post. I'm new @ this. LOL

13. i prefer apples, and there is nothing funky about flea or burton, well burton probally smells funky now.

if you think flea is funky than you have not listened to james brown, stevie wonder, funkadelic and so on.

so my vote is for neither, maybe you should write a letter to celebrity death match

14. well.. George Clinton thinks that the Chili Peppers are at least somewhat funky (he worked with them on an album.. he said that he wanted to wherever the funk was happening or something to that effect.. geez I can't remember exactly... I believe he also said that he loved Flea's playing)

if it's funky enough for George Clinton.. I'd say it's funky enough for me

15. Hary

Hary Guest

Sep 19, 2000
    Hungary, Veszprém
    I think you can't compare them. They play in different styles. Anyway I prefer oranges.

16. i said it before and i WILL say it again, the only way to answer this is with a sword fight and Flea would win.

17. Bassguy_123

Bassguy_123

Jan 26, 2001
    THEY WOULDNT SWORD FIGHT THEY WOULD AXE FIGHT GUITARS ARE AXES

Why are u all hating Flea anyway. I think he is the greatest he puts all his energy into playing and it sounds great. I'd like to see all u haters go beat the **** out of a bass for 2 hours and make an Awesome Bass sound come out the whole time. U HATERS UR ALL HATERS GO HATE SOMEONE ELSE BACK OFF OF FLEA

HATERS HATERS HATERS HATERS HATERS HATERS HATERS HATERS HATERS HATERS HATERS HATERS HATERS HATERS HATERS

HATERS HATERS HATERS
    HATERS HATERS HATERS

18. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    No, no, you got it all wrong, we hate FIELDY, not Flea! ;)

19. Gel

Gel

Mar 26, 2000
    Tauranga, New-Zeland
    :D

Hehe I laughed a reasonable amount from that. That felt real good. Thanks Oysterman.

20. THEY WOULDNT SWORD FIGHT THEY WOULD AXE FIGHT GUITARS ARE AXES

Precisely, those filthy light-weight 6 string things known as 'guitars' are axes...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.