Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flea vs. Victor Wooten

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jasmedia, Feb 12, 2001.

1. jasmedia

jasmedia

Feb 4, 2001
    This is Jasmedias son. And I wanted to hear which of those 2 bass players is better. Flea (red hot chili peppers's bassist) and Victor Wooten (soloist and bassist of flecktones). Thank's alot.
    Nick

2. JohnA

JohnA

Mar 21, 2000
    and this is going to start a war by the way...

but i generally thing that victor could play anything that flea can, but not the other way around.

i'd take victor on that bet anyday....

3. Ditto.

But shouldn't this thread be in the "Bassists" section of Talkbass?

[Edited by JimS on 02-12-2001 at 07:19 AM]

4. Yo, word, I'm with that, but if they had a sword fight, Flea would win hands-down.

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Victor Wooten is so much better than Flea, that to compare the two is almost laughable.

6. QUOTE: "Victor Wooten is so much better than Flea, that to compare the two is almost laughable."

If Mr Wooten is so much "better" why doesnt he "sell" as many records?

You're "better" than me cause you can play faster, but I'm "better" than you casue what I play sounds nice.

better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse better worse.

7. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Arthur - Since when is record sales ANY kind of measure of musical ability ? I'm surprised that you even threw that one into the argument.Let's see that would make Bill Wyman better than Jaco, wouldn't it? Oops sorry, Jaco didn't have other good musicians in his band like Wyman did.The point is thay my Wyman/Jaco comparison is about as pointless as your statement.

8. DaveB - It was supposed to be pointless. I used that ridiculous arguement to highlight that I don't believe it possible to objectively determine "better" in terms of music... and that the statement "Victor Wooten is so much better than Flea" is equally as pointless as saying "Record sales are the measure of musicianship".

9. I'd even agree with this:

"i generally think that victor could play anything that flea can, but not the other way around".

But could Wooten write those lines... No, cause he's not Flea and vice versa. IMO Flea & Wooten are great becasue they write fantastic music, not becasue either can play 'real fast' - how can "better" or "worse" be determined on the basis of what they can play?

Another One Bites the Dust is a fantastic bassline, but it sure aint difficult to play.

10. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Arthur - Thank you for clearing that up for me. I can now go on reading your good posts knowing that there may be a degree of sarcasm in your opinions.I happen to agree with you but I do think that "playing" and "writing" are two very different skills that are not mutually exclusive.If a comparison between Flea and Wooten ( or anybody and anybody) were even valid it would have to be as player to player separate from writer to writer. Nobody will ever accuse John Lennon of being a good guitar player compared to just about anybody...but writing...that's a different story.

11. I should really change my pseudonym to Arther 'sarcastic' Daily, as I am a bit of a smart-arse.

Yes, I agree writing & playing are sooooo different. The term bassist then should apply to both? or should it?

12. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I see it like this the people here that have played bass for more than 10 years of there life and truly understand a bass in the way that a great bass player would would say that vic was a hell of alot better but i love to listen to flea play!And no record sales dont mean anything guys are you saying that the bass player from goo goo dolls is better than vic because they have sold more cds?Go to there shows and see both of them live and you tell me who is the best ive seen them both live and flea did a small 20 sec solo that a could pic up in a hour or so but old vic played a 30 min solo that i set there with my mouth open!Bela fleck has sold alot of albums with vic and maybe vic hasnt sold alot of solo stuff but take flea out of the chili pepper and off of mtv for awhile and have him do a solo album lets just see how many cds he sells!Lets stop comparing bass players its silly nad childish!To comapre bass players thay would all have to play the exact same things and we dont want that!To be a great bass player you dont just have to be fast or mean with a sword you have to be creative!

13. JimmyThePlumberMan

JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    Spaces, Eric, spaces.

14. Deeter

Deeter

Dec 5, 2000
    San Fransico, CA
    Well, Victor always looks like he's in pretty good shape, but Flea's got that scrappy, crack-head quality about him . . . kinda like those guys you hear about, getting all hopped-up on angel dust and taking a chestful of lead from a 9mm but keep on running. I think I'll take Flea to win on a TKO in the 12th round.

Oh, weren't we talking about boxing? ;)

15. Gel

Gel

Mar 26, 2000
    Tauranga, New-Zeland
    Nah, we're talking about swordfighting :)

16. I like Flea's lines better but Victor's stuff is a lot more challenging and technical. I like them both and I don't really think they should be compared since they play different genres of music. I won't say it, I won't say it, aw, what the hell. IT'S LIKE APPLES AND ORANGES....:D

17. OK I think this is the best place for this ?
    I am getting married in August what is better Fish, Chicken, Beef, or Pasta.......Wait I think I got it that is why there is a choice.... Sorry nevermind......

By the way I find Vic's music more enjoyable, but then again N'Sync sells more cds.......

18. "By the way I find Vic's music more enjoyable, but then again N'Sync sells more cds......."

There you have it. N'Sync's bassist (or synth) is obvioulsy the root cause of their success, he must be a genius.

19. This is a stoopid debate, and I'm even stoopider for replying to it! I wonder if Flea could play Victor's bebop lines at 350bpm on the New Nashville Cats album, let alone the solo that Victor unleashes 3/4 thru. I'm talking 1/8th notes, dude!!!

20. "This is a stoopid debate, and I'm even stoopider for replying to it!"

...Amen, but I just cant help myself....

"I wonder if Flea could play Victor's bebop lines at 350bpm on the New Nashville Cats album..."

I'd like to hear this. Mainly because I cant undertsand how playing at that speed is anything but showing off and I want to see if it actually sounds 'good'?

I'd also like to point out that both Flea and Wooten are guilty of blatent "look how fast I am" playing - which in my book is pretty sad. Surely it's not much differnet from the metal guitarist widdling away in his bedroom?

I dont know any of Wootens stuff, Please advise and I'll buy some, but I've seen and heard a few things here and there. I'll bet that neither of these players are at their best while 'showing off' and knocking out breakneck solos?

I think it all comes down to this:

Flea IS better than Wooten, because he is shorter, sells more records, has a silly hair cut and a sparkley signeture bass.

Anyoen disagree: come round my house and my Dad will beat you up.