1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flea....whhhaaaaatttt....

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mitchthebassplayer, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Mitchthebassplayer

Mitchthebassplayer

Jan 7, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Olinto, La Bella, JuleAmps, Epifani
    so my buddy and I turn on the tv and there happens to be some RHCP live in milan concert on. So of course I'm going to watch it, being a hardcore old school peppers fan, having played in an RHCP cover band for many years, and spending many of my early bass years idolizing fleas playing style and wild demeanor.

Aside from the lack of energy overall on the newer tunes (which I can't really blame them), I was just appalled at Flea's playing. Of course all the old songs sounded great, but anytime flea stepped out to rip a solo, which happened way more times than it should have, it was just....wack!
    He fell out of time constantly, and he just couldn't get enough notes in like if his solo ended he was going to explode....then later in the show, he starts soloing OVER frusciante's solo in scar tissue, and it was the most unmusical thing I've ever heard. Now I may be white, but this was the WHITEST performance I've ever seen by a funk bass player regardless of skin color. And to top it off, he said some stupid s**t towards the beginning of the show like "hey look at all the lights, yeah cause we're a big rich rock band yeah!" Afterwards, I turned to my friend and said, "wow, I'm kind of upset, but really glad I saw this." Anyone else seen this???

2. I do think RHCP are looking worse for wear these days, and Flea's playing and tone have certainly taken a hit since he stopped playing Modulus basses. However, referencing skin colour should not be done in terms of gauging a performance. There are plenty of black funk musicians who suck and would go nuts if you said they played a white performance. Similarly, look at Francis Rocco Prestia or Jaco and tell me they aren't funky like there is no tomorrow!

3. TribalEagle

TribalEagle

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland EU
    you mean this performance:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zii41cU30TE?
    Yeah he screws up the solo backround.. But if you listen the original cd version, he does play "solo" there.. Just saying cos you sound like he should not start "soloing OVER frusciante's solo"
    Can`t comment rest of the show cos I haven`t watch it yet.

4. ..jaco is dead.

and thats not to say i liked his stuff when he was alive.:meh:

5. Well looking at Jaco's extensive body of recorded work, tell me he wasn't funky? I didn't ask you if you liked it. Francis has the funk too, yet I really can't stand Tower of Power!

6. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I think on the recorded version of "Scar Tissue", there are two bass tracks during the guitar solo-ish parts, a high and a low one, which worked pretty well. He seems to prefer playing the high one live and usually goes overboard with adding embellishments to it, which doesn't seem to work that well, in the video TribalEagle linked to it indeed sounded pretty horrid. Let's hope it at least sounded good to him. ;)

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao EspaƱa
    Well its not like it sounded unmusicaly is just that YOU DIDNT LIKE IT!

That said, i have seen flea doing this king of thing, altering the note paterns, on some of RHCP live performances and i find it nice that if i go to see a RHCP show, and they play one of their overburned songs, they have added some spice to it to make me feel interested in said song again.

And IMHO keeping the flats on his jazz wasnt a good idea.

8. Please avoid these comments. They are unnecessary, and insulting to people of all skin tones.

9. jtrow

jtrow

Mar 1, 2009
    Mid America
    I saw this and I'm glad I did, it made me happy, we all have those nights. I love the RHCP's, but this just proves that even if you can sell millions of albums and make millions of dollars, you can still have a bad night. I have bad nights, it's nice to know that the "pros" do too.

I have seen them live a couple of times and Flea rarely plays the same solo each time, he barely plays the same bass line each time.:) That's what makes them so exciting, they have the guts to try something new in front of thousands of people.

10. i think flea is a showoff. he does those things simply because he can.

11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Wow. For someone who's a big fan and has played in a tribute for years - I'm kinda surprised.

1. That may be the first time I ever heard the entire band singing and playing in tune. :) Thought it was great.

2. Flea (and the rest of the band) constantly improvises, which is what makes me love them, and makes it rock and roll.

3. The stuff he's doing is pretty much on the recorded version, yer just missing the overdubs as already said - so it sounds a little empty.

4. I like the fact that they don't throw another guy onstage to fill in the parts and not be a band member like a lot of other bands do (although I think they may have in the past).

5. I've seen them give waaaaay worse performances. Was against the stage once in a small club in NY and saw Flea freaking out, playing lots of sloppy and bad notes. It's about adrenaline, rock and roll, and a kickass performance.

6. I wish people would stop with the PC crap. The black white bass player rhythm thing has been going on for ever, everybody knows about it, nobody gets hurt by it, and if anything at all it's an insult to us white people. I truly don't get the problem. I don't think anyone else really gets the problem with it either. If you do, please explain in detail who it's hurting and how.

12. Eight_Stringer

Eight_Stringer

Feb 22, 2009
    Australia
    Like flea if for no other reason he is an Australian, however his playing is very good and stage presence cannot be denied. To play a re-interpreted bass line in shows is not hard, in fact it is easy to do when you think about it. being doing that on and off for years. Keeps you fresh....

Of bad days, they happen as we all know, hardly play a note properly on those days, yet he has to perform bad day or no...there is no choice to leave it for today. Show goes on, perhaps that is a song already??? Heres to you Queen Freddy.
    regards.

13. Dertygen

Dertygen

Dec 21, 2008
    A-Town, Colorado
    I'm not a fan of RHCP; yet I found nothing wrong with that performance.

14. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Jan 23, 2009
    I think we should just stop talking about Flea. Every thread that comes up about him starts a flame war not really even related to the topic...

15. wade_b

wade_b

Jul 8, 2008
    I didn't either.

His parts certainly weren't out of time or unmusical: locked in pretty tight with Chad Smith.

16. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I currently play in a RHCP tribute band. Basically formed from the ashes of a previous cover band, we got together and decided a tribute band would be easy to gig with and play festivals. We through out a bunch of possible bands to cover (TMBG was a longshot and Radiohead proved too problematic) and everyone agreed RHCP would be the most fun for everyone involved.

I always liked them (especially BSSM) but I've actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The songs are fun, and like they do live, I have free reign to improvise. It's given me a new appreciation for their live show. But for any band that jams and improvises, the chance of a bad performance is higher than guys that play stuff note for note.

Case in point - I saw Oasis open up for U2. Not a big fan, but they sounded great. Still, every song was played exactly as recorded. Just not nearly as interesting, to me anyway.

In any event, here's a live performance that I really enjoyed from them. The clip cuts it short, but I believe Jools Holland says something to effect that they've never had a big jam session like this to start the show. I especially dig Bellowhead's contribution.

17. liljb

liljb

Sep 23, 2008
    Sacramento
    I also think that he is short a fret on his jazz bass. If i remember correctly, on the studio version he uses the 21st fret a few times during the solo. This also might have caused him to improvise a lil more.

18. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I saw Third Eye Blind live, and they played the songs exactly as recorded. The guitarist has a huge rack rig that really doesn't seem necessary, and he changed guitars every song. The bassist played the same bass all night. He just laid back and did his thing. Good musicians all, but not a great live show.

19. geez you play 100000000 shows with the same dudes and you cant have a bad on?!?!=....do you do a perfect job every single day at work no.... everyone has an off day... or has the day where you just arent feeling it.. think abvout it this is these guys' JOB they have played that **** backward and forward up and down....how sick do you think they are of those tunes???? just cause hes the amazing flea does not make him flawless...and just cause he had on off night at a gig televised or not doesnt seem to be worth all this discussion... lol just my two sixpence:hyper:

20. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I haven't paid any attention to the Chilli's since Woodstock.I think they suck now.

I knew every note of the first albums up through BSSM. Learned them as they came out. That LA scene taught me how to play,Fishbone,Janes,Theloniest Monster.

Flea plays sloppy live. At least he did back then.

Aj