Flea worship post

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've never been much of a fan of female lead vocals, so in an attempt to expand my horizons I borrowed some chick CDs from some chick. I was listening to Alanis Moresette's Jagged Little Pill thinking it was all luke warm stuff 'till I got to the second version of You Oughta Know - I had somehow never noticed the bass part the few times I heard it on the radio back when it was hot (darn lousy car radio, or did they play the wrong version, or was it just that I didin't play bass then so didn't notice...?) So I'm thinking how this bass player is just an absolute funk monster and I'm digging it - so I get to reading and see that it's Flea! It all makes sense! Have you ever listened to both version of that song plain & Flea. That man can make anything rock!
  2. Isn't it Chris Cheney (or Chaney or however you spell it)?
  3. Yup, Flea and Dave Navarro on "you oughta now". Flea also played on her latest, "Under Rug Swept".

Funny thing, "You Oughta Know" is about the blonde dude on Full House.
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    really? oh then i learned something new today!
  5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    How the frig does someone manage to write a song about him?! :eek:
  6. hayngman

Aug 20, 2002
    Wise County, TX
    They supposedly dated way back in the day.

But yeah, Flea does rock. Even though I'm classified as a metalhead, I try to play things from all genres, for variety's sake. Lately I've been learning different RHCP songs. Flea's more mellow, less funky bass lines are just as awesome and make quite an impact. But he sure can funk the place up!
  7. amfan

Apr 27, 2001
    FLea plays on You oughta know(after intro on first verssion and all the way on Second) and on Narcissus on URS
  8. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah, that song really shows how bad ass of a finger style player Flea is. (since some people think the only thing he can do is slap)

I was watching Curb Your Enthusisam this week, and Alanis had a cameo on the show. One of the running jokes was about everyone wondering what "You Oughta Know" was about.
  9. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    This reminds me of the joke:

There are two kinds of music in this world: Country and Western. Everything else is horsepiss.
  10. While we're on the topic of Flea, what song did he play for the finale on that BBQ VH1 show? I saw it at about 3 A.M. and was interested as to what song it was.
  11. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    I think VH1 had Crappy sound at BBQ show. You know it had to be loud with the Setup that Flea and John had.
  12. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah, I thought John had a very thin and uninsipired tone. Like he was playing with dead strings or something.

Flea, always makes those G-K's rock though.
  13. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Yeah flea rules, if you havent heard the song Aeroplane then hear it! its got the most coolest bass licks from flea and a solo!

check it out..and if ur confident enough learn it!
  14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Jazzbo... this has to be my new signature... greatest use of the term horsepiss... ever!