Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

flea

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by stinkfist, Jun 9, 2004.

1. In my opinion flea from the red hot chili peppers is the best damn bassist on the planet........ do you agree or dissagree?
    he has so much energy on stage! :hyper:

2. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    In my opinion Flea is the one of the most overated bassists around. I don't think he's a bad bassist at all, but others do what he can do better. It so happens that he's in a popular band and a lot of great bassists aren't. To me he's just a standardish funk bassist who plays in a popular rock/pop band.

3. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

agreed. he is one bad mofo though! but avg at best.

BTW DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON HIS VIDEO!!!!!!

welcome :bassist:

4. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    +1

Video's pretty worthless.

5. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    The older RCHP is good....i don't know what they are thinking with the new stuff.

he is good, but I think he's just an average funk bassist as well. You only notice him because he's in a popular band. He dosn't really do anything "phenominal" or mindblowing.

6. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Flea is one of the reasons I started playing bass. But as soon as I got into playing and was learning his lines a little too easy I started realizing there a many much more talented bassists. Although, I love his style, and he IS very good. He's only the most overated because he's one of the most recognizable bassists. And yes, his video is garbage.

7. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I never knew he had a video, i will take you peoples word that it's garbage.

If i was a famous bassist i wouldn't make a video, i don't want people copying off me!

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Flea is better then me and making mad money....

not the best by a long shot, but he's got me trumped

9. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut

Agreed, he's alot better than me too, but there are better than him out there.

10. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    average.

11. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    I have Flea's video. It is "different" to say the least. Flea does not read music and has no knowledge whatsoever about formal theory, so nothing like that is discussed. The subject matter is more along the lines of (and I paraphrasing) "tapping into all the little cosmic things floating around the room" - so if you think that will help your playing by all means go for it. It is also "hosted" by River Phoenix shortly before his death and (to me anyway) it gets a little creepy watching it.

If nothing else he is a rock solid player in a great band. I shot this pic of him at the Modulus booth at Winter NAMM 2004. He hung out for a while and seemed like a genuinely nice guy.
    [​IMG]

12. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    cool sear sucker!

he is a cool guy

but........ jaco only needed four strings too!

13. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I don't read music but I understand theory as a whole, and I have won many awards for my playing. I am reading to much into it I know. Like I said, he's average.

14. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Best ever? No. One of the better bassists in popular music today? Yes. One crazy MoFO? Hell yeah.

\Travis

15. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    +1

I've got him out bassed and out trumpeted. Yes.

16. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    He wants everyone to believe he's this "play by ear,never taken advice from anyone,cant read music,does'nt believe in or ever thought about theory" B.S.er I have ever heard,when its a known fact that he was in the FILLAHARMONIC junior ORCHESTRA as a trumphet player.
    You dont need to be able to read and understand music or the theory of it at all ,to be a proud member of it,COME ON NOW ! sadely enuff some people actually believe his crap. NOT ME :bag:

17. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    Right, he did play jazz trumpet. Nevertheless, trumpet theory isn't exactly the same skill set as bass guitar theory.

Damn fine trumpet player actually.

He kind of has that sting look going on in that picture of him you've got there, hippiesandwich.

18. I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I wanna thank u guys foir contributing to my thread CHEERS!Q :bassist:

19. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    He's okay with me. I've always thought his line for "Soul to Squeeze" was really tasteful and cool and laid back.

20. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    Dont get me wrong,he can hold down the low end in a big way but his "demeanor"turns me off,when I first started playing bass I thought he was the best thing since sliced bread,now that I have some experience I dont think all that much of him now,alot of his lines are what I call "smokeshows" because when you break them down they are nothing to write home about.