Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flea

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by basspunk2005, Apr 18, 2005.

1. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    i been getting into alot of fleas playing like the verse to aeroplane for example. i found a video clip of him playing a funk groove followed by 3 of his bass lines like skinny sweaty man, black eyed blonde and get up and jump. does anyone know what the funk groove was taken from, eg what song is it?also does anyone know where i can find videos/video clips of him playing online for free?thanks

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The Funk Groove was improv, if I recall correctlly. That's from Flea's Spontaneous adventures in jamming or whatever... most of the stuff from that is improv.

3. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    it might have been improv, but when Flea played it the guy who was kind of interviewing him sed george clooning or somthing and flea sed yea, i tryed searching for it to find it aswell but it just kept coming with with cloony

4. the guy they're talking about is George Clinton. And the grooveis an improv.

I have the dvd so i'm sure about that.

The interviewer is River phoenix

5. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    aight cheers, i just really like that funk groove its cool :bassist:

6. Nah, Flea's just going through his punk and funk influences and he mentions Sly and The Family Stone, Parliament Funkadelic etc. Its not actually a Clinton groove or anything.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah that had me confused when I first heard it too. There is an strange pause.

Was that guy from E.R. a bassist? ;)

8. I heard he totally played the 'Rapper's Delight' line!

9. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    That's acually a very cool video. You should buy it.

River was pretty out there, along with Flea at that time it was shot...

Also: Chad Smith's on drums if you're a RHCP fan.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    "The Only time I play with a pick is when I have one in my hands" - Flea in his video

11. BIG MONTANA

BIG MONTANA

Apr 21, 2005
    north dakota
    IF YOU DONT HAVE THE LIVE AT SLANE CASTLE DVD, I SUGGEST YOU BUY IT. FLEA IS AMAZING.

PS. ANYONE HAVE OFF THE MAP?

12. i got off the map and live at slane. 2 very different DVDs. shows their changes in the way the play live. from the early days of mental funk, to a decent live show with some intensity, to the live at slane status

13. BIG MONTANA

BIG MONTANA

Apr 21, 2005
    north dakota
    would you reccomend buying off the map?

14. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    He's been playing with a pick a lot more these past few years. He's not bad at it either. :)

Shame the quality of RHCP's material has nosedived in that time though.

Russ :bassist:

15. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Buy the "What hits?" DVD and watch the live version of "Stone Cold bush"

And hold your Jaw tightly when you do so, because otherwise it will fall to the floor.
    [​IMG]

16. Defintly worth getting. They do an epic version of Iggy's Search and Destroy. Its a pitty that the concert has been edited between a couple of shows though.

17. BIG MONTANA

BIG MONTANA

Apr 21, 2005
    north dakota
    ok thanks dude I'll be sure to get it

18. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    isn't everyone a RHCP fan? ;)

19. BIG MONTANA

BIG MONTANA

Apr 21, 2005
    north dakota
    ok if anyone isnt an rhcp fan they have some serious frickin problems THEY ROCK MY SOCKS and are basically the best band to ever exist

20. BIG MONTANA

BIG MONTANA

Apr 21, 2005
    north dakota
    by the way...
    anyone know when the new rhcp album is coming out. theyve been working on it for kwite some time now and i cant wait until its here