Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flea

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Aug 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    on the chili peppers newest album calafornication(sp?) he uses a distortion on around the world and wah wah on sum other song who's name escapes me right now, and he might use one on parallel universe. any ideas wot they r?

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    here are all the effects Flea uses: (taken from "Flea's Garage" http://home.pacbell.net/dmramse/

Electro Harmonix Bass Balls
    MXR Micro Amp
    Boss Bass Overdrive
    Boss Auto Wah
    Boss Dynamic Filter
    Dunlop Crybaby wah-wah
    DOD/FX25 Envelope-Filter

as you can see he uses many different wahs/envelope filters. Im not sure which ones he uses in which songs though.

3. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i think it might be the EH BassBalls, but i could be wrong. he used it a lot on 'one hot minute', so my guess would be the BassBalls.

4. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    For the Californication tour, Flea's pedal board had a Jim Dunlop 105Q Crybaby Bass Wah Wah, a Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive, an MXR Micro Amp, and an Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron, in that order. The connections between are 8" Monster Cable Performer 500 Monster Bass Instrument Cables with custom solid gold angled 1/4” plugs available only to signed Monster Cable endorsing artists.

During the later days of the One Hot Minute tour, the positions of the Crybaby and the Q-Tron were occupied by a Boss AW-2 Autowah and a Boss FT-2 Dynamic Filter.
    Earlier in the One Hot Minute days, Flea only used a Boss FT-2 Dynamic Filter.

For the recording of One Hot Minute, Flea used the Autoway, the Dynamic Filter, an Electro-Harmonix Bass Balls, and a dbx 120XP Subharmonic Synthesizer.

For the recording of Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Flea used an Electro-Harmonix Bass Balls.

5. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    thanx guys but have u got any examples of an envolope filter and micro amp coz im not sure what they are???:confused:

6. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The Micro Amp is just a clean boost pedal.

Listen to Sir Psycho Sexy off of Blood Sugar Sex Magik for the Bass Balls envelope filter.

7. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    when does he use the mini amp?

8. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    err, micro amp?

and what exactly does it do and why is it worth buying?

9. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The MXR Micro Amp is just a clean boost pedal. There is one knob on it that selects the amount of gain you want, and there is a footswitch button so you can toggle the boost on and off.

Guitarists use it when they want a clean tone but more gain for solos.
    Flea uses it for solos and things like that.

In short, all it really does is allow you to make your bass louder by a preset amount at the tap of your foot, although it does have a very slight compression effect too, which will smooth out the dynamics of your notes a bit so you will sound a little more consistent and punchy.

The unit is really only worth buying if you need some temporary extra gain for solos.

10. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    how coooool is that!

so if ure amp and bass is on full volume could that still make you loudeR?

11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    Flea uses the wah on "Get on Top" and I'm very sure he uses a phaser on "Sir Psycho Sexy," although it DOES sound very much like an envelope filter. Go to a store and plug into a phaser and twiddle the knobs, and you'll be able to approximate the sound. I hate the sound of phasers otherwise (besides when used in conjunction with feedback).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.