Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by somethintosay, Aug 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i dont see why everyone says flea is so good?i've been playing a year and i can play everything he does?not looking to start an argument just wondering.
  2. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    This looks like a case for "Bassists".

And isn't anyone feeling sorry for this dead horse yet? Do a search. You'll find plenty of Flea-related topics.
  3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

oh,yeah, he's a bassist. Which is where you're going. Please watch the closing door.
  4. I like Flea, not because of his fast slapping on their older stuff, but stuff like the lines on Blood Sugar Sex Magic, which has some insanely funky bass riffs. Of course his slapping is pretty cool, too. Mother's Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magic are my two favorite Chili Peppers albums. I guess some people think he's nothing special, and people like me think he's really good. Maybe that's because I suck more than everyone else. :D
  5. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    Go get his Starlicks Instructional video and try to do the kind of improv jams he plays. I doubt you're as good as Flea after a year :rolleyes:
  6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I agree. ive been playing for 2 1/2 years. and can play some of the RHCP more populer stuff. but try playing some of his harder stuff......ever heard that solo on napster? I dare you. its tabed at the bass tab archive to,,,,if you want to try.
  7. DUDE!!!!!

one thing is to be able to play everything he plays....another one is to be able to make them up, play them and improvise on them night after night!
  8. relman's right. So you can copy his basslines? Try creating some that even come close.
  9. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    That's true - anyone can copy a bassline - even a guitarist or a piano player. In fact, a guitarist can pick up a bass for the first time, play a bassline off a song, and say "Hey, I am as good as the bassist who played this line" which is obviously not the case.

Just because a bassline is simple, and you can play it does not mean you are as good as the bassist who created it and played it. The bassist may be able to play things that you cannot play.
  10. thats true.... there's a lot to be said for creativity rather than speed and skill. i do find that he has some good lines that fit well with the songs and that is hard to do so i'm not doubting his talent,but i'm not going to try and play like him because i would rather develop my own style,but his basslines and solos are inspirational and i was really just asking what you people thought of him and that was a good question to ask. oh and bass guitar, its not an issue of whos better than who, no one should fret on how better they are than someone, creativity and feeling is the most important thing in music.
  11. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    this has been beat to death now, do a search for flea and you'll find more here than you will on a dogs ass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.