Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

flea

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wooday04, Jan 23, 2002.

1. wooday04

wooday04

Dec 17, 2001
    hey i was just wondering what kind of bass flea is playing in the around the world video. thanks.

2. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    He was probably using the Modulus Flea bass,I heard "around the world" was recorded with it.If it was,then it would of been blue,with a white pickguard.

if it wasnt the modulus,it was probably a Wal or Ernie Ball.

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    In the vid its his sig Modulus.

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Yeah, I remember seeing a Flea Bass in that video. Frankencow, I pretty sure that it was the silver big flake one. The Flea Bass is a bass thats made by Modulus Guitars and has a graphite neck and an MM pickup. Unlike other basses made by Modulus, it has a regular 34" scale (as opposed to their typical 35" scale.) I believe Flea's basses have Lane Poor MM pickups in them (and I also think that Lane Poor is out of business now.)

If I have piqued your interest, wooday, then check it out at http://www.modulusguitars.com/flea.html

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    *rainman voice on*

Flea bass. Definitely a Flea bass. Made by Modulus.

*rainman voice off*

I think that is about all you are going to SEE him playing, since he has the whole signature instrument and endorsement thing going on. But what you hear on the CD's may be a bit of a different story.;)

6. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    As I have said hundreds of times, "Around the World" was recorded with a Modulus Flea Bass.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I totally agree that it's a mistake to assume that the bass used in the video is the same one used on the recording. That said, most of the bass parts on "Californication" sound like Modulus to me.