Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by fleachick, Oct 16, 2000.

1. fleachick

Jul 7, 2000
    i love flea.
    just thought i'd share it with you. does anyone else love flea?? i have tried really hard to copy his style of bass, if anyone out there is really into the funky-ass-flea-bass, please post here to help me!! i need to find the tabs to "stretch" which is a pretty rare song. im no good at tabbing but have the song on my computer.
    Flea has insipired me with more than just his bass playing - his whole soul is beautiful, he really loves playing and i appreciate it....he amazes me more every single day i love him. the stage act is wikid - i think that is why he is popular, because he has the ability to entertain.
    i love flea

2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ..if you're really into COPYING someone else, I would check out who/what influenced them. Flea didn't make up Funk bass, ya know.
  3. fleachick

Jul 7, 2000
    i have listened to lots of the bands and musicians who influenced him, they sound good but different to flea, and so do i when i compose, so dont think i dont have my own original style, i was born an original and i will not die a copy.
    fleas style is just nice for me to play while im sorting my own stuff out, hes influenced me, didnt mean that i was trying to copy him exactly, i love his style.
  4. dont get me started on how much i dig him
    go check my winamp skin i made as a tribute
    http://www.winamp.com (search under skins for flea)

any questions i got all his licks down to an art!

(sorry to brag)

PS: my username does kinda say it aswell
  5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Flea is also one of my fav bassists..I´ve been a fan since 94...****! I´m getting old..
  6. 90_feet

Mar 18, 2001
    everyone called me nuts when i looked up to flea. but at jams sessions with my friends i go ****in ape! i slap like mad and i never use a pick. i'm trying to do parrail universe. heck i'm listening to the set at woodstock 99!
  7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    isn´t this thread waaaaay dead???

i mean...fleachick never returned...that´s like...last year man!

anyway i love the Flea tone on woodstock 99.
  8. Hey phreaky, I got into the peppers new album in 1987, Uplift Mofo Party Plan.

Is 26 really old? - I like to think not.

Also, Just check out my signature.... nothing to do with the peppers... errr... nevermind...

I have to say this also, Fleas live tone sucks, when he plays live he is all jumpin about so he cant play too well. His studio work on teh otehr hand is a work of art, his tone and feel is amazing and he loses too much of that playing live... IMHO of course.

anyway yeah fleachick has gone so end this thread i say.
  9. arther's right...his tone is very thin onstage...shouldn't his techies solve that????
  10. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I agree about Flea's live tone. It is far inferior to the studio stuff. Listen to "Around the World" on the CD and at Woodstock '99. The live Woodstock version just doesn't have that slightly farty-growly sound that the CD does. During the verses (Bum-weem-weem, Bum-Bum weem weem...) Flea sounds more like he's slapping at Woodstock, while the CD sounds more fingerstyle.
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Don't wanna start another Flea thread, so I'll say it here...I'm a converted Flea fan. I heard him, and was like "cool" I respected him, and thought he was good, a real good playerr, but really wasn't a fan of his...until I hit some Higher ground....Got offa Napster and BAM! Converted to flea fan! Now I listen to True Men Don't Kill Coyotes, Around the World, and a buncha other stuff with so much more enjoyment...my secrets out...:D
  12. Hey Brendan, check out UPLIFT MOFO PARTY PLAN.
  13. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    I know where you flea fans are comin from now! I just saw an episode of Saturday Night Live from the late 80's or early 90's and I was so completely blown away! I don't have any idea which song it was but it was incredible. The bass intro was mad! Flea just completely stole the performance and I couldn't stop staring in amazment. I had no idea a person could play that fast and still sound so amazing. I really wanna hear it again so:

Does anyone know what song this was? has anyone seen this performance cuz I am dying to learn this song!
  14. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    If it was their 1992 appearance, then it was "Stone Cold Bush". They also played "Under the Bridge".

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    Wassup! I'm new to this forum... Flea rules!!
  16. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Brendan-You should listen to Blood Sugar Sex Magic (if you haven´t already..) It´s a great cd, and Mothers Milk, too..
    And btw..The Stone Cold Bush intro is great!
  17. Hary

Hary Guest

Sep 19, 2000
    Hungary, Veszprém
    Ok guys, Flea is a nice player, but. Please don't start a new topic about him every time a new member does. There were many times it was good, but it's getting wronger and weaker every time. Just opinion.
  18. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Flea rocks...

I managed to play Paralell Universe and Around the world some time ago and I feel like I´m a good bass player when doing it..

but I know I´m not..