1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

flea

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soundoholic, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Right now I have a modulus quantum 5. I love it, but for the band I'm with it would be better that I had a 4 string bass with a drop d. The band tunes down to 432 and my B string rattles like a russian space station. I would really like a bass that is really good at rock, something with a really tight bottom end but will not get destroyed on the road from my constant touring. Do you think a modulus flea could do it? What do you think about the villex pickups? Thanks.

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, the flea is a good bass, pricey, but good. I know what you mean, i was going to get a 5er, but since my band plays in d, it's just easier to use a 4 string. I would recomend (if you want a great, PUNCHY, rock or metal bass) The Ibanez ATK. But if modulas is your thing... go for it. Personaly, i think the modulus quantum 5 is a great rock bass already, with tons of punch, and you can always just drop your e string to d anyways. then drop your B string to A!!! thats what i was gonna do...But if your b rattles like a mother, just get it setup by a pro. modulus quantum 5's have a great "B" string.

Also, a used Ibanez ATK is only around 300-400 dollers, and depending on where you live, you can get one new (they stopped selling them in the USA) for a decent price to, so you wouldnt have to worry about it getting beat up.

3. string your fiver with a high C string instead of a low B string, and then do drop D, so it's D-A-D-G-C.
    then you can do cool high little things and stuff.

4. sorry about the confusion. I screwed up what I said. I need a hip shot with my E string. I need to be able to switch from E to D for some songs. I have a great setup it's just that I can't get really tight bottom end on that B. With the drop D thing to, I would match the lead guitarist. I would be EADG or DADG and he would be EADGBE or DADGBE. This would really help out with cord stuff. I love the B, I can hear small children crying across the street and it is just sexy as hell, but I would be more band friendly with the E drop D. Sorry for for the misunderstanding.

5. that would work with a high C string on it! you can use the stringing you want, with a higher string added, and keep your five. it's definitely worth a try, before buying a new bass to suit your needs.

6. I'm going to try that high C thing. I already buy my strings in 6 string set because they're cheaper than 5 for some reason. Thanks a lot! That was a fast fix.

7. glad to be able to help, man!