Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

flea

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soundoholic, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Right now I have a modulus quantum 5. I love it, but for the band I'm with it would be better that I had a 4 string bass with a drop d. The band tunes down to 432 and my B string rattles like a russian space station. I would really like a bass that is really good at rock, something with a really tight bottom end but will not get destroyed on the road from my constant touring. Do you think a modulus flea could do it? What do you think about the villex pickups? Thanks.

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, the flea is a good bass, pricey, but good. I know what you mean, i was going to get a 5er, but since my band plays in d, it's just easier to use a 4 string. I would recomend (if you want a great, PUNCHY, rock or metal bass) The Ibanez ATK. But if modulas is your thing... go for it. Personaly, i think the modulus quantum 5 is a great rock bass already, with tons of punch, and you can always just drop your e string to d anyways. then drop your B string to A!!! thats what i was gonna do...But if your b rattles like a mother, just get it setup by a pro. modulus quantum 5's have a great "B" string.

Also, a used Ibanez ATK is only around 300-400 dollers, and depending on where you live, you can get one new (they stopped selling them in the USA) for a decent price to, so you wouldnt have to worry about it getting beat up.

3. string your fiver with a high C string instead of a low B string, and then do drop D, so it's D-A-D-G-C.
    then you can do cool high little things and stuff.

4. sorry about the confusion. I screwed up what I said. I need a hip shot with my E string. I need to be able to switch from E to D for some songs. I have a great setup it's just that I can't get really tight bottom end on that B. With the drop D thing to, I would match the lead guitarist. I would be EADG or DADG and he would be EADGBE or DADGBE. This would really help out with cord stuff. I love the B, I can hear small children crying across the street and it is just sexy as hell, but I would be more band friendly with the E drop D. Sorry for for the misunderstanding.

5. that would work with a high C string on it! you can use the stringing you want, with a higher string added, and keep your five. it's definitely worth a try, before buying a new bass to suit your needs.

6. I'm going to try that high C thing. I already buy my strings in 6 string set because they're cheaper than 5 for some reason. Thanks a lot! That was a fast fix.

7. glad to be able to help, man!