1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fleabass Pickguard Question?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThatGuyLewis, Apr 19, 2010.

1. ThatGuyLewis

ThatGuyLewis

Oct 29, 2009
    Hey, the answer is probably staring me in the face, but:

I am intending to soon purchase a fleabass, so i was wondering; would i be able to remove the pickguard on it (as it is only held on by tape) and put a Musicman Stingray pickguard on it? Like, would it fit, work, etc.?

I know that i would have to obviously screw it into the bass, im just wondering though as I think it would look pretty cool. :smug:

2. llacnayr

llacnayr

Oct 29, 2008
    Nebraska
    Sorry dude but the pickups are different sized, you can always try but from looking at picture, it's unlikley

3. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Aren't the pickugard basically the same shape anyway? What's the point?

4. MiamiFins42

MiamiFins42

Feb 1, 2010
    The Fleabass pickguard is just a circle, the MM StingRay Pickguard is different..and it reaches up to the neck. But to answer your question: No. Unless you modify the MM pickguard.
    The Fleabass has a soapbar pickup (EMG 35 size) that's a lot smaller than a MM humbucker pickup. Perhaps you could get a pickguard sheet, and cut out your own? There's some on stewmac.com and warmoth.com

5. ThatGuyLewis

ThatGuyLewis

Oct 29, 2009
    Thanks, this has been very useful. :) and ive found what you meant by the pickguard sheet and found one in the colour that i want, but where would i find the sizes needed to try to make a stingray pickguard that would fit?

Thank you.

6. MiamiFins42

MiamiFins42

Feb 1, 2010
    Hmm...My best guess is to use the pickguard material sheet, which is plenty big enough for a pickguard, and trace the pickup onto the sheet, then just do a basic oval-like shape that would fit on the Fleabass.
    One way you can do that is get a sheet of tracing paper first, lay it on the bass, trace the fingerboard edge onto it, the pickup, and where the knobs are. That way, you have a general idea where all the parts are, and just try to draw a design that you like as a pickguard, then lay the tracing paper onto the pickguard sheet, then cut! I'd leave a bit of room for error. That way any mistakes can be sanded down.

7. ThatGuyLewis

ThatGuyLewis

Oct 29, 2009
    wow thanks this has been soo usefull! :D

8. MiamiFins42

MiamiFins42

Feb 1, 2010
    No problem! Good luck with your little project. You should definitely post pics if you go through with it!

9. ThatGuyLewis

ThatGuyLewis

Oct 29, 2009
    haha, may take a while, im only 15 with no job so like it'll be a christmas present. :L

10. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Try an ice pick

11. ThatGuyLewis

ThatGuyLewis

Oct 29, 2009
    Sorry, but what is that ?

12. MiamiFins42

MiamiFins42

Feb 1, 2010
    he's being facetious...don't worry about it.

at least, I think he is....:bag:

13. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    Watch "Basic Instinct"...

14. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Are you SURE you want to get a Fleabass?????????

15. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    If you contact WD music (http://www.wdmusic.com), they may have a MM-style pickguard without the pickup route. You might be able to go with that option.

Alternatively, you can draw the pickguard and they can make one for you. If memory serves, it's not too expensive.

16. MiamiFins42

MiamiFins42

Feb 1, 2010
    Why are you questioning him? I have one myself and its a great bass. Much better than my Ibanez GSR200 or Squier P. Everyone needs to stop being so quick to think the bass sucks. Its in its first year of production so yeah they got to work out kinks. Mine has no QQ issues and plays great. I'm getting tired of having to defend it cause people are so quick to think it's a bad bass.
    /rant

17. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    He can buy anything he wants to. However, if you read the many threads about the Fleabass, the general consensus is that the Fleabass is an expensive piece of junk.

18. MiamiFins42

MiamiFins42

Feb 1, 2010
    Yes, I can read all those threads and whatnot. Or I could play the actual bass that's sitting on my lap? I mean, honestly, it's not an expensive piece of junk at all. Own the bass, then make the comment that is an expensive piece of junk. Like I said, it's my favorite bass among a Squier P bass and Ibanez GSR 200, and those are also very good basses.
    I've actually been playing my Fleabass for the last 2 hours now..and like I said, I have owned it for awhile (6 months now) and there's no issues with it.

19. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Don't get me wrong. I'm sure Flea has many satisfied customers who love the bass and that's fine. But I've seen many pictures here and other websites that show very shoddy construction. And for the money I can think of many basses I'd rather have.

20. MiamiFins42

MiamiFins42

Feb 1, 2010
    It's in the first year of production...Are you really surprised theres some out there that aren't great? Just saying, not trying to provoke a fight. But, look at it like that..You have to realize that it's a brand new company. Even Apple struggled when they first started...either way, you can't go around spitting comments about the bass' "shoddy construction" when several out there are very well done, and very playable basses.