Flea's best bass line

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by tbone0813, Jan 16, 2006.

1. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    I am looking for some Red Hot Chili Pepper's songs that without a doubt show off Flea's best slapping ability. I know he slaps a lot, but there has to be 'The Song' or 2 or 3 that really show him at his best. Thanks in advance everyone.:bassist:
  2. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    The general consensus would probably be Aeroplane but take a look at the earlier stuff too (Freakey Style, Uplift Mofo Party Plan, Mothers Milk).
  3. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    I liked his grooving and fills on 'Funky Monks' off BSSM.
  4. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    +1 that's a serious grooving line
  5. 5magics

Jan 16, 2006
    "coffee shop" is always good- from one hot minute
  6. Alex A

Alex A

Jan 16, 2006
    coffee shop, yea
  7. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    My fav line is "Soul to Squeeze".
    The best laid back groove Flea created, IMHO.
  8. The ones he doesn't slap on.......I like the undistorted parts in "Around The World".......when he's grooving underneath Anthony's singing.....this part, the last time around:

"I know I know for sure
    That life is beautiful around the world
    I know I know it's you
    You say hello and then I say I do

Mother Russia do not suffer
    I know you're bold enough
    I've been around the world
    And I have seen your love
    I know I know it's you

You say hello then I say I do"

That part.
  9. you mean, the chorus :p

walkabout is good, falling into grace, shallow be thy game

show me your soul is a favourite of mine, knock me down as well

to see flea at his best, it needs to be live, its needs to be jamming, as it is with every other bassist IMO...just watch the live at hyde park dvd
  10. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I wouldn't call it his best line, but he really lets it rip in the relatively little-known song "Love Rollercoaster" off the Beavis&Butt-Head soundtrack. Most of it is slapped with some neat fills. Overall, I think he's not really the best (or most tasteful) slapper.
  11. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Really? I had no idea. It's just that I haven't seen it mentioned here once. No one cared about it in Europe, either.
  12. was about what? 10 years ago now...that and it was a cover for a movie..just becuase a song aint mentioned doesnt mean its not popular
  13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I like his fingerstyle grooves over his slapping, check out BSSM for some of his best basslines :cool:
  14. I like the song "Pea" off of one hot minute... "You homophobic redneck dick.. big and tough and macho you can kick my ass... So f***ing what?" haha
  15. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    I heard "Bust A Move" the other day by Young MC and forgot what a killer groove Flea played on that. Makes the whole song..
  16. Flea plays on "You aughta know" by Alanis Morsette. Really makes the song enjoyable....
  17. Mikemike

Mikemike Miscreant

Jun 18, 2002
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Yeah, so anyway, about the songs with slapping:
    Stone Cold Bush (pops some really cool accents into the chorus, and has a slap solo)
    Aeroplane is a good one, but only the verse is slap style, and it's a pretty simple groove compared to some other stuff he's done.
    But he did most of his slap tunes in the early days, I would recommend the Uplift Mofo Party Plan for a good idea of how flea used to be perceived, it kind of puts things into perspective. Songs like Skinny Sweaty Man, True Men Don't Kill Coyotes, and Backwoods show why Flea was popular for slapping.
  18. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm partial to Knock Me Down.
  19. Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    yeah i love the bass on show me ur soul aswell, aswell as knock me down

for some songs with good slap pop, check out
    Stone cold bush
    Walkin on down the road
    get up and jump
    Coffee shop
    Point boy (was unreleased, hillel is on the vocals and has a groovy slap line)
    Fight like a brave
    True men dont kill coyotes
    Power of equality only has a slap line at the very end but thinks it cool

but like someone sed, u have to see him live to see what hes really capable of

u sed watch the hyde park dvd? theres a dvd version of this? i thought there was only an album version of this