flea's compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by flea2010, May 10, 2004.

1. I read a lot about flea's fx, but does he use a compressor on stage?
    I've never seen any picture or hint about it ...

I would be very thankfull if someone knows ...

Have fun & be kind :cool:
  2. The closest thing to a compressor might be his MXR Micro Amp for a clean boost, but seeing as you've read a lot, you probably already knew that.
  3. Amazing, I alsways thought nearly every pro-bass-player would use a comp
  4. I am 99.99999% certain that his monitor mix/house mix are compressed ALOT. I'm also 99.99999% certain that his 'rig' is turned down to a very subtle level, then he runs through a very good D.I. and then to the mains/monitors. And he uses in-ear monitors.

Pros on huge stages rarely crank their amps much more than necessary due to all the P.A. support. I find that when I play large stages, I'm always turning my amp way down and relying on the side fills, front monitors and house mains.
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

6. so, what do you think, how many of his cabs (normaly 3 4x10 and 3 1x15) might be really connected to the amps?

7. They're probably all connected to his amps, because there's really no substitute for the 'wall of sound' that you get from that much speakerage. All I'm saying is that they're just not turned up all that much. Too much volume coming straight out from that big a rig would really mess up the stage and house sound, even on monster stages. Also, you have to consider the endorsements these guys get. The rigs you see are giant billboards for the manufacturers, "Hey, Flea plays all those speakers, they MUST be good". It's big money. I saw this mid-major band called Nonpoint a year ago, and KB the bassist is endorsed by Peavey and was just starting his endorsement with Ampeg. He had two Peavey 8x10's with Ampeg SVT's on them...but they weren't plugged in. His 16 space rack was behind the 8x10's with PV Max preamps going into 1600 watt power amps. It's all about the illusion.

Alex Lifeson (guitarist for Rush) has like 4 Marshall stacks on stage, but his entire sound goes through a boutique guitar amp (Rivera?) into a custom 2x12 isolation box with billion dollar mics. THAT's what the house and monitors are fed from.
  8. They are all connected. He goes into one of the G-K RB2001. This serves as a 'master head'. The other 2 heads are connected via the chain in and chain out jacks on the amps. This is bi-amped into 3 410RBH and 3 115RBH cabs.He mics 1 of the 4x10 speakers with a shure SM98.

Got that from the April issue of Bass Player.