1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flea's early sound(EQ)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by GTH007, Apr 21, 2015.

1. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    EQ settings for the RHCPs first 'self titled' album(1984) and for the freaky styley album? I have a sterling bass.
    I know you obviously need his bass and technique to sound like him but EQ WISE how would i set that to get close?
    Please answer using 'Oclock' when speaking of EQ. Describe the LOW, LOW MID, HIGH MID, and HIGH.

2. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015

How about for this video?

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'm not seeing how "oclock" has much of anything to do with EQ. You seem to be making some sort of assumption about the equipment being used?

4. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    My eq looks like this. 12oclock being neutral, left is cut, right is boost

Attached Files:

5. Joce

Joce

Jul 20, 2005
    Europe
    I think what bholder meant was that different amps use different EQ structures, i.e. the frequencies you can boost and cut with the pots are different between amps, even though the labels on both amps say "low", "low mid", "high mid", "high".
    People on here will probably be able to tell you to boost or cut in certain (broad) frequency ranges, but you would have to figure out how to set the "o'clocks" on your amp, because without knowing your exact amp model and having a manual, no one knows which frequencies the pots control.

bholder likes this.
  6. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    I realize that i just wanted an estimation. How about we use: slighty or greatly, boost or cut

7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Exactly, the only way to really say anything meaningful is to be very specific about frequency ranges and db cut or gain, and lots of EQ systems use different sorts of setups, not always just 3-4 knobs. I mean, what's "o'clock" even mean on a graphic eq with sliders? On a multiband parametric?

8. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    True i just figured most people would know what I'm talking about

9. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Anyway it is a purple dragon

10. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    Smh

11. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    The actual answer is "your ears."

You need to develop a skill called "critical listening." Make a recording of yourself playing the bass, then listen back to it. Then figure out for yourself whether your tone needs more mids, more lows, more highs...

If in doubt then make the adjustments, record yourself again, listen back, make more adjustments, rinse and repeat until it sounds right.

We can't tell over the internet without listening to you whether your tone needs more highs, less lows, etc. What if you already sound as close to Flea as possible, and then we tell you to change your EQ in a certain way, then you will sound less like him by following our bad advice. ;)

12. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    Ik, i just wanted a guess or an estimation but ill just figure it out myself. Thanks

13. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I am going to guess and estimate that you are currently boosting too much bass and cutting too much mids.

14. Kjell

Kjell

Nov 26, 2011
    Bergen
    When i was a kid I too strived for that tone. I spent endless hours learning that album.
    I still love playing "american ghost dance".
    My humble advice to you is first try to emulate his attack, playing insanely hard (slapping and fingerstyle), and to get some fresh roundwound strings.
    Starting with a flat eq on your amp might be a good idea.
    EQ can only get you so far, and once you have mastered the technique behind his sound, you can tweak it to your liking.
    Good luck and be patient, and above all; have fun!

15. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    I actually think that I have been getting pretty good at his technique. I figured out better eq, I think I mainly just didn't like my preamp so I dropped it and boosted more on the amp. I can post a clip of me playing a song or two? Any takers?

16. Kjell

Kjell

Nov 26, 2011
    Bergen
    Sure. I'll listen

17. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    Just name a few songs from the first or second album and I'll pick the one im best at

18. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Turn the bass and treble to 9 o clock. Leave the mids flat (noon). Bring up the bass until it sounds fat but not boomy. Bring up the highs until you can just barely hear the bite on pops. Then if it sounds boxy turn down low mids, if it sounds too ganky turn down hi mids. If your amp is any good it will not be far from flat. Fleas sound is pretty neutral.

19. Kjell

Kjell

Nov 26, 2011
    Bergen
    @GTH007 Brothers cup or American Ghost dance?

20. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    Ugh i just realized the quality on my phone for recording sucks