Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flea's funk groove

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Sep 12, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I saw part of that video, flea's spontaneous improv or something like that, and there is a part where after listing a series of funk bands, he plays a funk groove.

I know that it is an improv, but i like it and i was wondering if anyone has either tabbed it out or has learned how to play it and wanted to impart their knowledge

Peace My Brothers

2. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    bump, please im not very good at tabbing out by ear and the camera switches making it hard to catch what hes playing

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    i have the dvd with the transcription booklet, i'll watch it at some point tomorrow and figure out what the hell you're talkingabout. lol :bassist:

4. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    thanks, to be more specific, after he plays it he talks about slapping and popping, and then plays skinny sweaty man, blackeyed blonde, and get up and jump, and then shows how to play them slow

5. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    i got that one i think:

macho lick:

----------x----------6-----7----------x-----------7------x-----------------
    ------------------------------------------7h9----------------------------
    ---5h7-----------x-----x-----------------------------------------------
    --------------0-------------------x-------------x-----0-------------------

or

simple nice
    -------6------7-------6------------------------6---------------12---16h18----------7---7-------7-------------5trill7------7-----7-----/13-/14------------
    --0----0-------0-------0------0----------0------0----0----------------0 0---
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

that last one got kinda messed up...i think one of those are what ur talking about, i'm writing a paper, procrastinated too much already peace

6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    hmmm, both of those seem close, but neither seem bang-on, and i cant tell what is played on which string for the second one. for all i know the second one is right, its just hard to tell. thanks for the help, any other input would be greatly appreciated

7. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    i formatted it right in word, pm me with ur email and i'll send it to u

8. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I've attempted to figure this one out... it sounds pretty close... here's the tab:

Code:
    For some reason, he's dropped a half a step, but I just play it like this in standard tuning:

G||--------------------|--------4--6--|---------------|------------1-|---------------1|-----||
    D||-------66--4--6-4---|-----44---4-6-|-----66-X9-8-7-|---------1-X--|---8------1-1h3-|-----||
    A||-----6------------6-|---6----------|---6-----------|--------------|----------------|-----||
    E||-4------------------|-4------------|-4-------------|-6\-X2-3------|-6---X2-3-------|-6\--||

9. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    [recording no longer exists]

10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    funkslap89, you seem to have hit the nail on the head, the only discrepancy i have noticed is that there is a c sharp right before the second bar. Thanks for all your help everyone

11. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    After studying the video, i saw that i got some parts wrong... its more like this:

Code:

G||--------------------|--------4--6---|---------------|------------------|--------------------|-----||
    D||-------66--4--6-4---|-----44---4-6--|-----66-X9-8-7-|------------------|----8-------------6-|-----||
    A||-----6------------6-|---6----------4|---6-----------|---------4-X6p(4)-|-----------4--6/8---|-----||
    E||-4------------------|-4-------------|-4-------------|-6\-X2-3----------|-X6---X2-3----------|-6\--||

I put that C# in where i thought you meant... i wasn't quite sure though... did you mean just a quick, pickup-16th note? or what?

Edit: I just added that pulloff in there, you can barely hear it in the video, but i think thats what he does...

12. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    that seems even better than before, the only thing is that i meant for the C sharp to look like this:

G||----------------------|--------4--6---|---------------|------------------|--------------------|-----||
    D||-------66--4--6-4-----|-----44---4-6--|-----66-X9-8-7-|------------------|----8-------------6-|-----||
    A||-----6------------6-4-|---6-----------|---6-----------|---------4-X6p(4)-|-----------4--6/8---|-----||
    E||-4--------------------|-4-------------|-4-------------|-6\-X2-3----------|-X6---X2-3----------|-6\--||

this box aint the right size, but im pretty sure that right

13. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    that looks ok, just ignore the uneven bars, thats how it sounds to me, i meant for the c# to go just before the first bar line

14. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    oh, ok... i see now... yeah, that does sound better :p