1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flea's Funky Effect in "Sir Psycho Sexy"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by funkbasser, Aug 7, 2007.

1. funkbasser

funkbasser

Sep 19, 2006
    Hey guys, what's up? I don't know much about effects, but I really dig that funky sound Flea gets in Sir Psycho. Does anyone know what wah/auto-wah/filter he uses on this song? And does he use any other effects at the same time? His effected sound on this song is sweet. Any help you can give would be awesome. Thanks! :)

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    It's a vintage Mutron III Filter with a dying battery.

Things that will get you close

Ibanez SB-7
    Crowther Prunes & Custard
    Overdrive and a decent filter like a Maxon AF-9

3. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Hi Funkbasser. I'm not certain if your post is entirely genuine or not- but this topic is one that has been discussed here time and time again. I wholeheartedly recommend using the search on the top right of the screen, bar to avoid the wrath/contempt of the masses. Try it and you'll find a host of previous threads on this subject.
    FWIWIn short no one really knows the answer. the most common answer that comes up is that it was an original mutronIII that had dying batteries.

4. discumbobulated

discumbobulated

Nov 8, 2005
    the closest i've come is running a bassballs with the distortion on, into a mini q-tron running in low pass. blending in a bit of clean signal would do the job just right.

5. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    As Steve said, it was an original Mu-Tron III with dying batteries. As Steve also said, running a dirt pedal into a filter will get you close. Here's a sound clip I did using two of the pedals Steve mentioned - A Crowther Prunes and Custard into a Maxon AF-9 filter:

Here.

6. funkbasser

funkbasser

Sep 19, 2006
    Thanks for that guys. That sound clip from Higgie sounds pretty good, I'll have to check some of that stuff out. Oh, and also, my bad about the search, I'll remember that next time. Thanks!

7. I find a bassballs does the trick