Flea's FX?????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by relman, Dec 16, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i need to know what efffect he uses in AEROPLANE!!!!

2. flea uses effects on aeroplane? what?

It's been a while since I've heard the song, but I don't recall anything.
  3. During the verses, the bass changes to a funky ish sound, very cool
  4. Ah, I hear it now, that effect is none other than Flea's thumb.

There are no bass sounds on that track that couldn't be produced just running a bass straight into an amp.. he might use a wee bit of compression, but that's not really much of effect. A compressor is something that makes softer sounds a bit louder, and louder sounds a bit softer. It smooths out the dynamics a bit, but doesn't radically change the sound. I don't think one is used on the song, I'm just covering my bases.
  5. I dont think flea uses anything on aeroplane but if you're wondering his effects are..
    Jim Dunlop 105Q Bass Wah
    Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron enveloppe filter
    Boss ODB-3 Bass Distortion
    i think a phaser/flanger thingy
  6. I got a Starlicks video featuring an interview of Flea given by River Phoenix. In the video he shows Flea using a DOD Envelope Filter with his MM bass and Mesa stack. I liked the funky sound, and might try the pedal out.
  7. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    This is a pretty old video. He's updated all his gear apart from his amp now.
    But if you plan on checking out a Envelope Filter for your bass, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES get the DOD. There is a huge spike in it when used with a bass and constanly flicks on and off. Really irritating.
  8. donkeywrestler

Jan 6, 2001
    Flea's Live FX are
    EH Qtron
    MXR Micro Amp
    Boss Bass Overdrive
    Dunlop 105Q Wah

He also Uses Modulus Basses
    GK 800RB Heads
    Mesa/Boogie 2x15 cabs
  9. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    Just a little addition there:
    He also uses Mesa-Boogie 2x10 on top of his 2x15 when playing huge shows (ie 95% of the time)
  10. I knew all of his gear...thanx anyways.
    I need to know how he gets that awesome sharp treble-ish tone during the verse of aeroplane...
  11. let me rephrase that. I know how to use EQ...I just can't get it!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. Do you know how to slap? That's what Flea is doing there.

If you are slapping it already, and you don't have a relatively similar sound, you might want to try a new set of strings.
  13. I second that, DONT GET GET THE DOD ENVELOPE!!!

EQ, amps, effects and the such like?.... Flea's sound, like any great bassists is in his fingers. No amount of 'tweakage' or gear is really gonna get you any nearer - the only way is to practice!
  14. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I read an interview with Flea. He was using an Alembic for most of the recording on that cd, but said he used his MusicMan Stingray for Aeroplane. That is THE Stingray sound. No other instrument sounds quite like it for slap and pop. More than likely, the only effects are new crispy stings with a touch of compression (almost always used in the studio). However, the Stingray has a lot of natural compression when slapped and popped, which is why it has been used so frequently in the last 25 years for funky bass lines. If you are in love with that sound (it still gets me jiggy) stop searching and go buy a MusicMan.
  15. That is my dream bass...i guess i will have to shell out soon...i like the 5 string version. Any opinions?
  16. What a Trip! I'm learning the song for our band, and it's great! I don't use anything, and I can cop ALL the sounds with my hands. It's all in the playing. I don't know for sure, but I'll bet Flea is playing dry into the board. Don't forget- You are comparing a studio sound to your live bedroom sound. Try using an all tube bass head and a 15's cabinet.
    Flea also uses LANE POOR pups on his basses. These pups are DA'BOMB!
  17. Hey Reiman, I forgot, you can get Lane Poor direct replacement for a MM5. Lane installed mine for me. The only difference is the bolt pattern. You can screw them straight into the wood, or you can install brass inserts. If you go with the inserts, you need to mill three bosses in the wood first.
  18. what's does the pickup sound like (tonewise)?
  19. Reiman, They sound between a Musicman stock pu and a Bart. Did you ever play a MM 20 Anniv.model?
    Kind of like that. Crsp & Juicy with Warmth. Kinda like Duff's bass sound on G&R's Appetite for Detruction. Kinda. It also depends alot on the individual bass guitar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.