fleas live tone

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by God_of_bass, Jan 31, 2002.

1. i gotta gig coming up and i hate not being heard! so i thought whatta about fleas live tone, its not brilliant but least the crowd can hear it and not just feel it, any idea if i could get? cheeeers
  2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I think he has great live tone. I used to think that his live tone sucked, but that was only from listening from bootlegs I got of Morpeus or Napster (way back when).

After getting the "Off the Map" DVD, my opinion has changed. His tone is incredible. I want a Flea Bass now.
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Moved to recording gear/equipment
  4. I hate to shift this one again, but i think it belongs better in Misc.
  5. He has a great tone, my tone is pretty similar but i only cut through when playing octaves etc.
    The reason for this is that in red hot chili peppers music the bass is very prominent, it's probably louder than the guitar and the guitarwork that frusciante does is very funk, mute. This means that because the guitar isnt in your face, flea can be heard.
    I play punk and im not really heard in the mix playing root notes, but thats where variatons come in.

- Russ
  6. that's right. A lot of people don't realize that on most RHCP tunes, the bass is the melodic, and loudest instrument, with guitar just adding some color in the background. So if you're doing covers, you'll have to adjust the mix for this.