1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flea's new jazz.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Look here... http://rhcpgta.free.fr/ click video then go to aol sessions. look at any of the videos in there. Flea has a new jazz. What exact model and color is that? is there any way you can get something similar cheaper?

2. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    Its a Fender Jazz Bass 62 you can get a RI new for around 1,400 usd

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    you can get a classic jazz (MIM) but the white wont be so vintagey

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    There's nothing 'new' about that real 1961 stack-knob Jazz Bass. He's supposedly had it for a very long time. It's olympic white that has yellowed slightly.

Current prices on nice early stack-knobs is up to about 15,000. So yeah you can go out and buy the American Vintage Series 62 reissue stack-knob for 1,400 new...that's cheaper isn't it? And you can get it in olympic white too.

5. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    And you can get a used '62 RI USA jazz for $800-1000 or a new '62 RI jazz from Fender Japan for about $600-700 (with an alder body, less for basswood).

Somewhere in between the currently available '62 reissues and the real thing would be a 'Fullerton' '62 RI from the early 80's. They go for around $1600-2000+

6. Manol

Manol Too Sexy To Be Left Handed.

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Dammit, how does Flea just get that DAMN TONE.

Its so good (eg Californication, Dani California) in those videos.

7. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Is Flea and the guitar player for RHCP really small guys or are they just playing hudge instruments??? I mean seriously flea looks like a little punk kid 12 year old

8. yeah, hes pretty short... I wonder if Flea's going to "abandon" his usual style... fenders are usually no match for musicmans or modulus in the slapping dept...

9. Marcus Miller might disagree. many others too - disclaimer: I love the stingray slap sound but I've never been a fan of the modulus - definitely a question of taste. But Flea's tone with the Jazz is one I love. Something tells me the Gallien Kruger have something to do with that tone also.

10. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    wow, all their songs are soft and sound the same. What happened to the Party on your P***y or at least the BSSM Peppers?

11. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

I think someone is selling a reissue in vintage white over on the dudepit for 800 :eek:
    looks nice too!

12. phillys

phillys

Feb 4, 2006
    Malaysia
    Go and stick that BSSM CD of yours into the cd-player and press 'Play'.

:bag:

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Did anyone else see the 50's style P-bass on Flea's rack behind him?

14. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    You bet!

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I wonder if he would like Sadowsky's.

16. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Yep, that thing sounds pretty good, doesn't it? I wonder if we're in for a Flea signature Jazz.

Perhaps we'll be seeing less Fender bashing now as one of the most popular bass players plays them live now.

17. I did say "USUALLY"... what I meant is Vintage, non modded Jazz basses.

Sadowsky's have also got monster slap tone, Larry Graam has awesome slap tone...

But slapping on a 60's fender, is nice, but not quite the same as far as output as playing a stingray, IMO of course.
    :smug:

18. britrit

britrit

Jan 22, 2006
    London
    You can see him playing it in the Californication video. So it's at least that old

19. d-basser

d-basser

Nov 20, 2005
  20. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I think that one's been around for a while but I've never seen him play one, either.