Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

flea's pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by siwel24, May 16, 2001.

1. siwel24

siwel24

May 3, 2001
    what sort of pickup and/or guitar does Flea from RHCP use?
    I think its a humbucker, but i do not know what type it is.

2. Flea's Modulus signature bass has a Lane Poor passive soapbar pickup, with two-band active EQ.
    You can't get Lane Poor pickups right now.. he's temporarily out of business.

3. musicman-style humbucker, not soapbar....

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Looks like a soapbar to me:
    [​IMG]
    And I think you get them with Barts nowadays.

5. Yeah, Flea "ditched" using a Musicman for a Modulus. He did this cause he thought that the Mod was a lot more durable than the Stingray he had been using. He still uses the Stingray occasionally, though.

Rock on
    Eric

6. Basslines by Seymour Duncan MM pickup with Bartolini NTBT tone system; active bass and treble

right off the site

7. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Flea uses a Lane Poor Music Man style humbucker in all his Flea Basses.
    His blue metal flake Flea Basses are equipped with Aguilar OBP-1 2-band active onboard preamplifiers.
    His silver metal flake and silver metallic Flea Basses have Bartolini 2-band active preamplifiers.

8. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Flea no longer uses Ernie Ball Music Man Stingrays live. In addition to his Flea Basses, Flea also brings a couple vintage Fender Jazz Basses along on tour, but I have never heard of him using one in concert.

9. siwel24

siwel24

May 3, 2001
    ok, thanx, what is a cheap pickup i can use to emulate that funky sound? (a pickup of about £60 is all i can afford)

10. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    no the jazz basses are Modulus and the mm pickup is a Bartolini.look up on there site he uses the musicman to recored.

11. really? all of his jazz basses are modulus? I guess it's one of those special edition Modulus' that say Fender on the headstock instead of Modulus.

12. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Hmmm...&pound60 is about $85 USD (today anyways :) ).

You can get a Seymour Duncan SMB-4D at Warmoth
    for ~$82 (list ~$110). That price does NOT include a
    preamp however. That combo's ~$200. The SMB-4D
    CAN be used in "passive" mode though. The Ampeg
    AMB1 uses this setup - vol / tone / coil switch.

What kinda' bass you thinkin' of modifyin'? (profile?).
    An M/M type pup needs a good-sized hole.

Oyster-dude? Sorry to be a nit-picker...
    Isn't the pup in that pic you posted an M/M type?...the 2+1
    mounting "ears" or tabs.

13. that's what i said...

14. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    EX-moderators have eerie powers...

One thing I learned bein' a UNIX weenie forever & a day...

• NEVER piss-off anybody with "root" privileges

15. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
  16. that's the pic i was looking for!

17. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The Flea Basses that Flea uses are fitted with Lane Poor pickups. The reason that Lane Poors are no longer listed at the Modulus website as optional pickups for the Flea Bass are because Lane Poor went out of business.

Some of the Flea basses that Flea uses are of a slightly older variety with the dual roller type string trees, rather than the newer Flea Basses with the dual disk type string trees.
    The newer ones Flea plays might have Bartolini pickups, but his primary basses use the Lane Poors.

Flea no longer uses Musicman basses to record so whatever source you looked at must have been outdated.

I used to have some pictures of Flea in studio recording Californication with his Flea Bass, but I can't find them.

18. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    • [​IMG]

19. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the attack of the ex-moderators!!!!!!!!!!!!