1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flea's solo CD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    For thos who don't get Chili Pepper emails, I just recieved this. About to download it now. :)

Flea has announced that he is releasing a solo EP today entitled Helen Burns.

"Hi people who like The Red Hot Chili Peppers! I love you a lot! Mucho! Just wanted to give you a heads up about this little record Helen Burns I am putting out on the Silverlake Conservatory website," said Flea.

"Warning! It is not a Chili Pepper record. It does not have songs that are like the Chili Peppers at all. It is a mostly instrumental, weird and arty record, the music is mostly just me creating soundscapes that are very emotional for me, but certainly not for everyone! Just me tripping out at home. I am putting it out to raise money for The Silverlake Conservatory of Music a community based non profit music school that I am an integral part of. There you have it. See you all soon I hope!"

The digital download of the EP is available NOW at "a name your own price" on the Silverlake Conservatory website .

Additionally, there is a limited edition 180-gram vinyl that Flea personally signed and also includes an actual piece of a bass string that Flea used while touring. Only 900 copies are available. The vinyl can also be ordered on the Silverlake Conservatory website .

The EP will be available on all major digital outlets on August 9th.

Order now

http://silverlakeconservatory.com/helen_burns/

2. Ordered, and bought the vinyl too. You can never go wrong with signed vinyl..

3. aRandomAggie

aRandomAggie

Apr 5, 2011
    Houston
    Thanks for posting this, got my vinyl on order!

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Dropped a $5 on the EP. Just listened to the whole thing.

I like it. I'd like to say it's not what I expected, but it's exactly what I expected. :) Inspiring for me, cuz I used to like to write "artsy" things like that a while back, and then just quit doing it for some reason.

Some of it reminded me of some obscure old stones

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I'm really digging it! Nice blend of a mix of old and new styles.

6. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    It's... okay. I'm glad Flea made it very clear it wasn't going to be typical Peppers, or I would have been mad. It's great for what it is, just not my cup of tea. I download it for free to see if it was worth buying the vinyl just because I love Flea and would cherish his signature on a vinyl, but now I know I'll pass.

7. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    He is a good guy. Nice of him to do that. Always had an awareness for music education.

8. I love what Flea does as a music with his school. Great guy, I'm gonna download now and I'll be back.

9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I'm really digging this track:

10. Has anyone received their vinyl yet? It was supposed to ship out August 10th but I haven't seen mine.