1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flea's sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by apfroggy0408, Feb 17, 2006.

1. apfroggy0408

apfroggy0408

Jan 21, 2004
    texas
    Ya, so I love his style of playing. How the poop can I get that sound? What effects? What pedals do I need to buy or what? I have a BP80, very basic I don't know if that'll help. Any and all help is appreciated greatly.

2. Flea uses an electro-harmonix Q-tron, a boss ODB-3 and a MXR micro-amp.

3. apfroggy0408

apfroggy0408

Jan 21, 2004
    texas
    So it's all this that gives the sound? He doesn't do anything "special"?

4. well... he plays damn well! that's pretty much the "special" thing he does.

5. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Stingray, GK, and his hands account for a lot it. I guess Modulus for the later stuff. I believe BSSM was the Stingray. I like the sound of that album.

Dave

6. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Which sound?

It's evolved from his "spankity spank" hammer thumb of the godz sound to a more low-mid boost "fromp".

7. apfroggy0408

apfroggy0408

Jan 21, 2004
    texas
    "Walkabout" would be the best song that I could use to say what sound. After the intro is the sound I'm liking, around 35 seconds into the song.

8. BSSM was mostly Wal ... start saving for that one!:D

9. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Blood Sugar Sex Magik was a WAL, actually

10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    he has a unique touch that allows him to get a distinctive sound no matter which bass he's using.

also, gallien krueger amps apparently are integral, as well.

11. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    If you want to know what Flea sounds like with a Stingray, check out this Google video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1234513755225657627&q=chad+smith

It's miles away from his fat Wal tone on BSSM, although I think a bass with a neck humbucker should be able to allow you to get at least a similar sound.

"Walkabout" was recorded with an Alembic Epic, by the way.

12. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    yea thats cool i posted that video a while back, i like the 'Greeting Song' part :D

13. dumelow

dumelow

Feb 8, 2006
    England
    i can get a fairly good flea like sound and ive got none of his kit, all i do is play really hard, and i get a really funky growl like his. I think most of it is down to how he plays, but then you could say that about every bassist that ever graced the earth

14. Rhythmbug

Rhythmbug

Jan 22, 2006
    London UK
    flea plays at the bridge alot, which kind of surprised me, I thought from his tone it was from closer to the neck fingerpicking. Personally I think whatever he records sounds like "his" sound whether its a ray, modulus or whatever. Having a good bass does help, but its in his fingers (and eq :p)