Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flea's sounds

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Higgie, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Anyone have/know of any pedals and/or settings that could be used to replicate Flea's sounds on numerous records? If you know any, please list the song, the pedal and the settings. Thanks.

2. Flea uses a Boss Bass Distortion (think 'Around the World' and a lot of use live, listen to Johns solos on Live in Hyde Park, he uses it then to thicken up the sound)

He is also on the players list of the Dunlop 105 Wah pedal, but I'm not quite sure if he uses it or not, he definatly did on 'One Hot Minute'.

He has used many auto-wah pedals and envelope filters, and has been said to have used a EHX Q-tron and Bass Balls, the Boss Bass Autowah and also a Mutron I believe.

Hope this helps, I'm sure there are those that know more about his gear than me on here.

3. in an issue of bass player i got (i cant find it now, but i remember it vividly), they showed fleas fx setup...it consisted of

boss odb-3 ->ehx qtron ->mxr micro amp (boost for slap passages)

simple enough

4. Yeah that sounds about right for his current set up.

5. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Thanks alot. I knew he used a 105Q, a Q-tron and a Boss ODB-3, and I have the Q-Tron and ODB-3, but was wondering if anyone has any settings (or combinations of pedals) that could be used to replicate for example the "Sir Psycho Sexy" effect, the overdriven sound in "By The Way" or the heavily Distorted "Around The World" Intro. Thanks for your help guys.

6. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    WOAH I didn't even see your username! How comes your called Higgi...whats the story behind it?

7. I'm pretty sure both the overdriven sound and the heavily distorted are the ODB-3.
    I read about the Sir Psycho Sexy effects, it's a bunch of envelope filters together
    I think it was Boss Autowah>Bass Balls and one other...

8. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Do you possibly have a link to the information? I heard it was an original 70's Mu-Tron III with a dying battery, but i dunno how true that is.

9. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    the dying battery sounds about right to me. If you're looking for amp/instrument eq settings, bass=3oclock mids=cranked treble=2oclock. on a jstyle=rock your tone halfway back down off the neck, and crank the bridge pup

crap i gotta make a train i'll finish this from home.

10. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I use a Yamaha BBG4S2, it's active. Also, my Dad has an original '78 Sting Ray, so the bass sound before he got the Modulus is no problem for me ;)

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    www.bassplayer.com

They make mention of his use of the bassballs and boss autowah on sir psycho sexy.

His current set up is a Boss ODB-3, EHX Q-Tron and a MXR Micro Amp for boost for slap solos and such.

His old gear has included a bassballs, dunlop 105q bass crybaby, I'm sure at some point I've heard mention of a proco rat, Dod fx25 this is important the dod fx25b does not get this flea vibe trust me.

If you want classic flea I'd go for (with out using his actual pedals)

Tech 21 xxl for his dist, 105q for wah, bassball, fx25 (not fx25b), and then some sorta boost pedal but you might not need this if you are not soloing.

Hope this helps

12. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Thanks mate :) Since posting i've found a rather interesting combo of the ODB-3 and Q-Tron for Sir Psycho Sexy not exact, but the clipping gives that kind of oscillating effect heard on the record from the "Dying Battery".

Also, found a similar setting for the Verse of By The Way on the ODB-3. Thanks for the link also. I take it it's meant to be www.bassplayer.com as bassoplayer didn't do anything

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    fixed link now

14. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Alas, I couldn't find anything about a Boss Auto Wah or a Bass Balls, I've read that interview before. Thanks anyway though.

15. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    From what I understand (insert disclaimer here), he used the Mu-Tron with the dying battery on Sir Psycho Sexy.

16. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    He uses a evelope filter on sir pycho sexy, i have one but it also has 7 other effects which is kool, but i'm sure it was made for guitar or someting, coz some of the effects dont werk properly, does this happen to anyone else if they;ve got one?

And on by the wya he uses a boss overdrive 3?

17. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    There are many different models of envelope filters. What is the name/model of yours?

18. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    Its an x series synth wah envelope filter, in green lol

19. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Does it say "Bass Synth Wah" on it? If not that is the guitar version.

I also found a quite cool ODB-3 setting for By the way Today, better than the last one. I like it.

20. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    there is absolutely no distortion on By the way, just a graphite neck FX, quite costy imho and not always usefull( Tried a flea bass yesterday, don't look further to get the flea tone!!!, of if you want the old style tone, burry on a old stingray or better, an alembic epic)
    he played epic on BSSM and one hot minute