Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flea's, Timmy C's, and Jeff's...Bass tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FooBass, Sep 11, 2004.

1. FooBass

FooBass

Aug 25, 2004
    what settings do i use to get a good flea tone, timmy c tone, and/or jeff ament tone?

I am trying to figure out these three tones...so frustrating...Agghh!

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, they all have their different bass rigs, and what you own may not necessarily be able to get those exact tones. also, when they're recording, engineers add stuff like EQ, compression, etc. that makes it harder for you to nail that tone, as well.

what bass, amp, cab are you using? also, what about their tones do you like? might help us a bit in helping you.

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Jeff Ament is a huge SWR player (I believe it was he that came up with the idea for the Goilath Sr. 6x10") live, but in his Dec. 2002 BP article he describes using "a miked '73 SVT rig, and we also ran a direct line through an Avalon U5 preamp/DI" as well as a Fullton BassDrive pedal for distortion for the recording of "Riot Act". Basses were generally vintage P and J-basses, with an Azola Acoustic Baby Bass EU on two songs.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    practice a lot................... :p

btw, timmy c is quite secretive about his tone - in BP he claims to have done serious mods to his amps and pedals, and refuses to tell anyone what he's done, "it took me 10 years to get this tone, why should i tell everyone else how to cop it?"

5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    You can get close to all 3 with a Sans Amp Bass Driver in front of your rig. Especially the Rage Against the Machine tone.

Lync

6. alright, for flea you're gonna need a modulus flea bass 4, GHS bass boomers, electro harmonix -qtron, mxr micro amp, boss odb3, 3 gallien kruger rb2001's, and either 6 mesa boogie 1x15"s wit 3 mesa boogie 2x10's or 3 gk 15"s and 3 gk 4x10s......

timmy C, this is from what ive seen, fender jazz's with p bass necks, 2 ampeg SVT 810s with 2 ashdown heads one with effects and one clean.....jeff ament? i have no idea

7. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    +1
    It would seem impossible to get his exact tone (but this could be true with anyone) with the mods he has done. I would just look for a pretty good distortion pedal do get his grit (fulltone bass driver, maybe?).

8. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Fleas tone is alot to do with technique

9. FooBass

FooBass

Aug 25, 2004
    when i asked this i didnt mean what gear they use and stuff... I am no noob at the bass, i was just wondering about their amp settings, simple amp settings that they use for example if they turned their bass all the way down and jacked up the mid ranges on the amp that sort of stuff.

10. FooBass

FooBass

Aug 25, 2004
    Ive got fleas techniquie nailed :D

11. well noob, you cant just dial in someones sound, each of them use different amps GK, SWR, AMPEG, ASHDOWN. and they all use different basses which all give totally different tones, for example i know that jeff ament used an 8 string for a period of time...all depends on what bass/s+amp/s you have...

but try to get your own tone, you can never sound the same as other people which results in you souding terrible in the proess

gloat: i got stu hamms technique down pat, and one of his kubicki basses :smug:

12. Get yourself the following.

GK head. (or something else transperent)
    A sweet as pair of cabs. (410 + 115)
    Ampeg/Sansamp Pre amp

MM/J bass (im thinkin lakland or whichever floats your boat)
    and a fretless (whatever you want)

it aint gonna sound exact.. but it will get pretty damn close...

13. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    well i agree with timmy...
    he also said he takes out his pickups and recoils them by hand...
    i respect him alot...i had no idea someone wud put so much into getting their perfect sound..

just one question about timmy..
    does anyone know wat pickups hes got in his fenders..
    are they stock vintage...or had he upgraded?

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    he won't say........... :p

15. mike_Ro11

mike_Ro11

Dec 17, 2007
    Sorry to bump and old thread but Timmy C use ampeg svt 2pro heads not ashdown.

16. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    And now he's using Lakland basses and SVT-VR amps.....

17. mike_Ro11

mike_Ro11

Dec 17, 2007
    Yep he has been using Lakland since the beginning of '08. I never heard he switched to the VR where did you hear that. Basically for Tim's tone ash J bass Ampeg 10 inch speakers and Ampeg all tube head to get close It's near impossible to get his tone.

Ament from what I've seen is 4 SWR 6X10's Ampeg all tube heads. I've in recent vids seen an ashdown head in his rig. I think he uses ampeg fliptop heads and maching cabs too. Jeff plays a variety of fretted and frettless.

Flea I would say a GK head with Mesa or GK 10's and 15's. Then a Stingray or a similar active single Humbucker bass such as the modulus that used to be Flea's sig bass.

Three of my favorite players.

18. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    I saw a vid of him playing at Lollapalooza, as well as some random newer photos. It kind of made me sad, because he spent many years tearinig up vintage Fender basses and messing around with his Ampeg SVT2-Pro rig to get the perfect sound, and he throws it away for some off-the-shelf SVT-VR's.

Also, Tim's bass cabs are pretty rare. His Ampeg 8x10 isn't the 810E or 810HPC, it's something else that I haven't seen before (big metal grill, heavy and loud!). The 4x10's are the same.

19. mike_Ro11

mike_Ro11

Dec 17, 2007
    His 8X10's in recent photos look different then his ones from the 90's I could be wrong though.

EDIT: the 4X10's were only audioslave right or is using those now too.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Throws it away? You've never heard the VR, then. Go play one, then tell me he's throwing his sound away.