Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

flea's tone on a particular song

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sonorous, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    what would i need to do in order to make my bass/amp replicate the sound of "throw away your television"

edit: not sure if this info is needed, but i have an ibanez sr505 as a bass and a 1959 4x10 bassman as my combo amp

2. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    midrange growl of some sort

3. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    does sound pretty good doesnt it.. kinda gritty.

i think, i dunno...

that lane poor pickup he uses in his main bass, from what i read, adds alot to that gritty tone.

gallien krueger 2001rb would probably help.

almost sounds like tube warmth, tube o/d, combined with some presence and a bass with a humbucker in the bridge position.

I know i have said this plenty before, but my stingray + sansamp rbi gets very close to most of fleas tone.

the rbi is sortof fat sounding (tube mimicker).. it allows you to add some drive and presence for that finger noise... + the stingray is fairly growly.

a jazz bass could do it too i think.

if you do a search for flea, you will get a good idea of how to get a similar tone.

flea's fingers would help, too.

4. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    thank you for your help boozy, now does anyone want to tell me what a lane poor pickup is?

5. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    ummm... well, fleas bass has a humbucker in the bridge position (ala stingray).. he uses a modulus flea bass.. you can search it at yahoo or google and you wll see it if you are not familiar... lane poor is just a brand or whatever of pickup (well, i think it is a guy who makes pickups but isnt currently in business.. he probably made other stuff too)... fleas main bass is equipt with one of those. you can also get a flea with a bartolini pickup, and maybe a seymour duncan aswell. they are all humbuckers, same size, just different brand, and therefore a little different tone.

the g/k amp he uses are solid state, but are very fat/warm sounding and they also have distortion so you can add a bit of "grit"...

I am not at all familiar with your bass or amp so i cant help you in regards to getting more of a flea-type tone with what you already use.