1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flecktones Fans in here - I attempt a Wooten solo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by TFunkadelic, Sep 22, 2008.

1. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    http://sholnay.com/ul/files/3/weedwhacker.mp3

This solo ended up being a lot tougher than I thought it would be...not that I thought it would be easy...I still don't have it down, but I recorded what I have today to see how it sounded and figured I'd share with you guys.

By the way, this is Wooten's first solo on the song Weedwacker, from the album The Hidden Land.

2. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    keep'er going--practice makes perfect! I like your tone on that too-what are you playing/playing thru?

3. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    Thanks man. It's a Warwick Thumb BO through the DI on my WT-550 straight to the recording interface.

4. Mesmerize-16

Mesmerize-16

Aug 31, 2007
    very nice. +1 on the tone

5. Nice work. Are you soloing the bridge pickup on a jazz type bass for that?

6. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    No, but the Thumb (a Warwick model) has both pickups at an angle favoring the bridge, and they're also both much closer to the bridge than a typical Jazz bass. On this recording I had it about 45-55 in favor of the bridge pickup.

Thanks again dudes.

7. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    I would have liked to have heard a click or the original track. Or anything other than some solo bass. I don't care how difficult, awesome, or moving the original solo is to you, playing it alone without any accompaniment does absolutely nothing for me. Context is important. Granted, I can happily listen to Bach solo cello suites without complaining but a prog. rock bass solo without any point of reference gives me little to cling too.

8. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    Nevermind then. Lol, wow.

9. COOL!
    Ynow i tried to learn Shocktime, i cant figure that one out for crap

10. very good!

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones are one of my favorite groups!

11. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    Same here, they're just so damn good!

Thanks for the kind words.

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Awesome cover, and you've got a great tone going on there!