1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flecktones Last night

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mike sancho, Apr 27, 2006.

1. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Caught Victor and the boys last night in Milwaukee. Great show. Victor was playing 2 Foderas and his fretless. Ampeg rig, 4 10s and a 15. Really great tone and a really great mix in the house. A lot of material off the new CD and some old favorites. Hats off to the whole band but especially Jeff Coffin, the guy's really terrific!

2. thats awesome.. im seeing them this august at an outdoor gig with umphreys mcgee (best band ever).. that should be an amazing show... i saw vic last fall but i cant wait to see him with bela fleck

3. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    that rocks dude. i get to see them tomorow, i'm very excited. it's gonna be a very unique show..aparently the grand rapids ballet is dancing to the flecktones music, haha.

4. How big was the venue? Any idea what kind of wattage he had on his amp? Was the bass going through any in-house system?

5. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    The Pabst Theater seats approximately 1200 people on the main floor and two balconies. I could not see what he had mounted in his rack so I can't offer any info on that. He was coming through the mains and they had a very adequate PA.He also was using pedals on 3 different pedal boards but again from my seat I could not see what pedals he had on the boards.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    not to derail this.... but I've been digging on them a lot lately myself.

7. gfunk 121

gfunk 121

Apr 16, 2004
    i saw them last weekend here in nyc.they are excellent musicians.i love vic i spoke to him also there.
    but i gotta be honest i left after an hr and a half i couldnt take it any more.
    i saw vic's band many time i like his band better.flecktones almost put me to sleep.marcus will be playing here on jun 16 thats should be a great show.

8. Thanks Mike. 1200, that's a decent sized venue. Bigger than the average bar anyway. :)

9. saw them last week at the egg in albany - same rig couldnt get the wattage

I snagged their setlist too, its on my wall right now
    and...sat 6 feet away from vic

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I saw the Tones last weekend in NYC, and it was a super treat. [And right after seeing the Bx3 show.]

Got to sit in the very front row, in spit distance of Jeff. :)

I love those guys very much. They are All amazing.

[Super special treat: since I was at the club for the show Before the Tones, they let us linger In Between shows, and I got to see them do their sound check. I couldn't believe they didn't kick us out. It was fun watching that and listening to them direct each other.]

Someone else mentioned Jeff. I agree with how amazing he is. The more I see him live, the more I love him. He's one of the tightest horn players on the planet. Incredible stuff.

The Tones will eventually get some big credit in music history. They are writing incredible stuff.

11. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Met Vic last summer, but I haven't seen the Flectones live yet.

Videos are awesome.

I love the fact that they just do what they want to do.

Vic and his bro are so tight and down in the pocket.

Bela's like, from out there. Good Lord.

And yeah Jeff, talk about out there.

Miles beyond Miles.

12. kazamamaster

kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    lol, are you serious? i won't turn this into a flecktones/wooten bashing, but they haven't release a single cd since live art that was worth buying...

13. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    +1!!! And am I the only person that thinks Jeff Coffin sucks? Just cheesy. Two-horny Blues makes me want to vomit. :rollno: But Live Art is FANTASTIC!
    [/END FLECKTONES BASHING]

Please return to your regularly scheduled thread!

14. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Its true, I was at that show. They played great.

15. I still like Vic doing funk better than jazz. Minority to be sure.,