Fleetwood Mac Tribute with 5 string G&L?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Engle, Sep 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I saw a great Fleetwood Mac tribute band last night. Great musicians, clothes & wigs. The guitarist played a white Les Paul most of the show, which looked right. But the bassist had a 5 string trans-blue G&L. It sounded fine and he is a solid player - big grin on his face the whole time. I think he played the B string twice.

But why go to those lengths to look authentic and not bring a Precision? Looking up John Mcvie images, I just see Precisions and Alembics.

basspraiser and MCF like this.
  2. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right!

Oct 25, 2013
    Ajax Ontario
    If you look up images from their most recent tours, you will see Godin Shifter Classics. Two of them, one drop tuned.

3. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Not to mention his Laklands.

I think it's probably because about .03% of most tribute bands' audiences even know the difference between a guitar and a bass guitar, and with numbers like that, function rules over form.

4. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I always think Rick Turner Instruments . I can understand one might not have 3 or more k to toss around for one of those and I don't hold it against them if they have different instruments . It's all about the music .

5. A P bass wouldn't have to cost a lot.
    If it were me learning all those songs and gigging as a tribute, I would get or build a bass to match.
    But yeah I was probably the only one in the room who noticed:rolleyes:

pjbassist likes this.
  6. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    He maybe didn't want to play a P bass, not everyone does.

What model was it, you might be surprised how little some of them cost.

Mechanical likes this.
  7. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    It simply doesn't matter in this case

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Because unless it is an iconic instrument (Page with a Les Paul, Macca with a Ric or Hofner), 95% of the people don't know or care.

9. Glazenn

Glazenn

May 16, 2011
    France
    In their 2014 promotional video, it's a G&L L2500 (rosewood board, blue body, not a Tribute model :laugh:)
    upload_2017-9-24_23-39-48.png upload_2017-9-24_23-46-9.png
    One can also see a Fender Marcus Miller Signature Jazz in that video.
    upload_2017-9-24_23-52-49.png

EDIT - This post relates to the Canadian cover band (DREAMS).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    delta7fred likes this.
  10. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' Inactive

Post acknowledged.

11. AztecViking

AztecViking Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    I like when Dave LaRue used a Musicman Bongo in the Zep tribute band Hammer Of The Gods. :woot:
    medium_dave-larue.jpg
    Mike Portnoy.
    0034dc46.jpg
    Paul Gilbert
    hqdefault.jpg
    Daniel Gildenlow
    7ebdf3ccd5b34957ad3a3d93a27019a7.png

Everyone else did their best to both look like and play an instrument like their LZ counterpart but not Dave. He was just just his regular badass self. They all still did a great job of covering Zeppelin tunes. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    jd56hawk likes this.
  12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    If you are playing in a Fleetwood Mac tribute band 99% of the people watching are not going to give a rat's ass what bass you play ...

13. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Interestingly, I just started this thread The many Basses of John McVie
    yesterday, simply because I couldn't recall seeing much discussion of McVie's basses here... there have been a bunch of different types and brands over the past 50+ years.

*as an aside - I would love to have the bass job in a Fleetwood Mac tribute band. :bassist: That would be a dream gig for me.

14. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I don't think P Bass when I think of McVie.

I think two pickup basses, mostly Alembics and Turners.

15. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    John McVie would laugh his socks off if he read this thread.

16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Same, here.

17. True!

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  18. Do a Google image search on "John Mcvie bassist"

19. This is kind of timely for me. I just subbed with a Fmac tribute band last weekend for the first time. The girls dress in costume and while they never asked me to, I wore the longsleve shirt, cuffs rolled up with a leather vest, button down cap, and used a RW P bass. I did it in spite of the fact I play a 5er most of the time. Also because it was appropriate for a "tribute" band. They complimented me on the attire and bass as well as learning all their material in a short amount of time.
    Act like a pro, get paid like a pro.

20. That would be a lot of material to learn!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021