1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fleshing out a new tune...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by envika, Sep 18, 2008.

1. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    so on the train ride home from school today this little thing popped into my head. when i got home i promptly figured it out on my ancient, out-of-tune-by-more-than-a-half-step upright piano and made a recording. my jazz band teacher said today that if anyone in the ensemble was working on their own stuff, he would like to hear it. obviously i can't come in with just this melody (in F major, on one of the most standard possible chord progressions, with no bridge as of now), but i want feedback on it to see if it's even worth pursuing.

i'm very uncomfortable at piano so this recording is about 40-50 bpm slower than i want it at in real life.

http://media.putfile.com/head-to-new-tune

i thought beginning with (or even soloing on!) a vamp of Fmaj7 and Faug would be kind of cool, but i didn't record that part.

also if it sounds very, very similar to any other songs you know, point it out. i don't want to be thought of as a plagiarist.

2. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    bump...i'm curious

3. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    bump...

4. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    I can hear this as the A section of an AABA head, like a "rhythm changes"

For the B section, (just as an idea or starting point) consider turning your A melody upside down, so it starts by descending, and obviously moving it to whatever key area that you settle on for that part. If you use rythm changes as a template this'd be an A key (A7, D-7, G7, C7 each for 2 bars).

Anyway, even if you don't change it, this is a nice little melody and I'm not surprised it got stuck in your head!