Flex Orig E and G, Permanent D and A?!

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by SirFunk, Mar 6, 2006.

1. SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE

I'm a college student and I asked my father to pick me up some strings for my birthday.

Well somehow he got the order wrong and instead of:

Flexocore Original D and G
    Permanent E and A

he got me:

Flexocore Original E and G
    Permanent A and D

I've never used either of these strings before but from some research i decided the setup i originally wanted was a good setup for me (Mostly solo classical work for school, little orchestral ... and unfortunately only a little jazz) Right now i have Corelli Tungsten Forte's and they are OK the G is a little bright and my bass has really low action sow the low-tension Corelli's are a bit floppy.

My question:

would using these strings in this odd configuration be really weird? would my sound be very uneven? Should i give it a try or should i try to exchange (bought from an online dealer) the strings for the ones i wanted... Or should i bit the bullet and buy the ones I wanted and save the mistaken ones for spares.

Thanks for any advice,
  2. SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    Replying to my own post.. heh

Anyway, after my initial panic i fired off an e-mail to the place he ordered them I'm hoping they haven't shipped yet, maybe they can fix the order *crosses fingers*

what do you guys think i should do if it's too late?
  3. if i were you i would try to return them. that is a pretty odd setup, and i am sure it would sound uneven. I use a permenant E so the bottom is a little crisper, however it's a much brighter string than the orig flex. I personally have been using a perm E, orig flex A and D, and a flex G. This is my orchestral setup, and i'm having great success with it on my personal bass.

4. SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    Yeah, i got in contact with them, It already shipped. I guess I'll just try to return the 2 wrong ones.

*sigh* I'm impatient and i want to try my new strings :p
  5. Just return them to get the setup you really wanted.

Any reputable retailer shoud accept returns, as long as you haven't put them on yer bass. That means don't string them up unless you know you want to keep them.

Don't waste your dad's money trying a bizarre thing, bass strings are too expensive for that.

Now if they were ukulele strings, I'd say go for it! Those things cost something like fifty cents.

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I used that combo for awhile on two of my Basses but have since switched to Flex Starks. It seems that the heavier Perms are better for the bottom as the reg. Flex E is way too soft for some Basses. I found that using a Stark E Flex fixes that problem but sounds more even and matched tonally.

Currently I have that combo (Flex and Perm) on my Shen 7/8. It had all Flexes because I didn't have a Stark E. A few days ago, I took off the Perm A and E from my 5er and switched them with the Flex A and E on the Shen. The Shen sounds better now and the 5er Bows much better than before as the Low B Perm is the bottom string.

The reason I mainly use Stark Flexs now on my Orchectra Basses is that I can get slightly lower string height and maintain the tension and volume of sound. Besides that, they sound great for Pizz. They don't require any more Bow pressure than Perms but are much smoother sounding.