Flexible 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by full_bleed, Jun 1, 2005.

1. full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    I'm looking for a 5 that gets a few pretty solid sounds out of it. 1) P-bass 2) Jazz bass 3) a little growly 4) and finally just a dirty as hell sound. I doubt I can find all these in one bass so I realize I will need to sacrifice here and there. It make it a little tougher I'm really looking for something about 500 and under if possible. To give you a little more info I play mostly hard rock and metal. I am a finger style player and I do a bit of tapping and just a smidge of slap here and there. I hope this is enough to allow you guy/girls to give me an educated opinion. Thanks
  2. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i played a G&L ASAT bass the other day at a Joint band gig. the bass player has been playing since about the 50s and had a 62 P bass, but his G&L was a FAR better player than the Fender. Sounded like a P should and with a few knob spins i had everything ive ever wanted out of a bass.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think that the G&L would be great, the USA L-2500 or the much less expensive Tribute L-2500 are both great sounding and versatile basses. I would also suggest a Stingray5. It can do a decent p imitation and it is certainly can get growly and aggressive.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Fender Roscoe Beck V. Yes, it's passive, but amazingly flexible. With the neck pickup soloed in series mode, you get nice thump that's very close to P-bass land. You can also get an array of J-bass tones, and many other tones ranging from smooth to gnarly.
  5. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Used G&L Tribute maybe?
  6. full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    keep em comming yall. I plan to seek out all your suggestions and sit down and spend some quality time with each this weekend.
  7. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Since no one else has suggested it, I'll recommend an Ibanez SR505. I played one at GC just yesterday and was amazed with the feel, sound, and look (natural finish.) I got an amazing array of tones just by changing the way I plucked the string, very responsive. The EQ seemed to change the sound the way I though it should. I was impressed, and I didn't expect to be.
  8. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Tribute L-2500 does it for me. Labella tapewounds get me a ripping P sound plus a ton of other good tones.
  9. full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    It looks like most of you are saying a G&L Tribute 2500. Which artists use these and on which recordings. I'd like to hear them in action with a complete band. Keep the basses coming I need more than 3 to try out.
  10. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Bongo. A lot of people have started using these in the short time period that they've been out. Check out chevelle, oar, I know there are more... but I don't know any off the top of my head.
  11. full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    If it helps to get more opinions you can ditch the growl and just give me some ideas bassed upon my other needs.
  12. +1 on Ibanez. I think for 500 bucks the SRX505 will be a great one to check out. A good thing about Ibanez is that you can try one out almost anywhere. The SRX has dual MM style humbuckers and growls plenty.
  13. 'fraid not. Open pole pieces, yes, but not quite MM style. Still the standard soapbar shape though (less space between the poles than the MM 'bucker).
    Unless you get hold of Nelson Braxton's custom SRX700...

[Edit]: My SRX500 (I know its not a 505 but it can't be too different to comment on) can do quite alot of what's required here. P-bass: roll off the treble with both pickups or neck, j-bass: I can get the tone (to my ears) of Mark Stoermer's (The Killers) Geddy Lee on 'Jenny was a friend of mine' with the neck pickup and a bit of treble boost, Growl: Bridge pickup, Dirty: boost bass and neck pickup.
  14. Steve

Aug 10, 2001

You pretty much just defined the Sadowsky PJ5.
    Start saving and get in line!
  15. dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    +1 on the Ibanez SRX505

I can get a wide range of tones out of this bass. It growls nicely! And it purrs too! Try one out...
  16. full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    I have to be honest I'm a little afraid of purchasing an Ibanez. I know some that have owned them and they had some issues with them that I had never even seen with my Hammer Slammer P-Bass (my first) that only cost $150. I'm willing to payout $500 for a problomatic instrument but I guess I'll try them out and if I decide on an Ibanez I'll have a pro check it out first to look for any flaws that will cause future problems.
  17. full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Well It's a definate NO on the bongo or anyother musicman for that matter. :spit: They feel like crap and I personally don't think they sound much better than a decent $250 starter bass. The Rocoe Beck wasn't to bad. It had a much nicer feel and tone but I just don't think it was hitting the spots right :meh: . I couldn't find a G&L yet and I will be causiously looking at the Ibanez's tomorrow. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME :hyper: ! Thanks to those of you that have already posted and offered up your advice. Remember I can give or take the growl now so I'm basically looking for 1) P-bass 2) Jazz bass 3) and finally just a dirty as hell sound. Does anyone have any sound clips of their sadowsky's. please give model and pickup used also if you can remember.