1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flexible Flatwound Strings for Fifths Tuning (Legends vs Chromes)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Will_White, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    I am wanting a set of flatwound strings for tuning DAE on a 36" scale bass with 32-38 lbs of tension. Doing the calculations using D'addario's information for the Chromes it looks like a .105, .070 (or .065), .045 set would work, however I want them to be as flexible as possible, so I am looking at the DR Legends Flats. With their round-core, they should be plenty flexible and they come in the right gauges, but I don't know if they are comparable relative tension wise (EG is the difference between the Chromes D and A similar to the difference between the Legends D and A strings)

Also if anyone has a bass strung with legends flats could you tune it to Eb (A) Bb F (the first fret of a 36" scale bass is about 34" from the bridge) and tell me if it feels fairly balanced?

2. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Without tension information from DR, the best you can do is to assume a similar tension to other brands of the same gauge.
    GHS also have a tension pdf, you could take the average of the 2 brands.
    Also, you can use the physics-derived rough rule of gauges in ratio 3:2 for equal tension strings tuned a fifth apart, it works quite well.
    45 * 1.5 = 67.5 choose 70
    70 * 1.5 = 105
    So .105 .070 .045 should have fairly equal tensions.