1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flexible Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basscooker, Jan 18, 2012.

1. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    I read once that a university or company was working on a speaker (or maybe transducer?) that was highly flexible. it wasn't very detailed and only had one small picture (and it featured the guys who made it holding the thing, not the thing in action).
    i understood the concept to be something that can be rolled up like a poster. you suspend it on anything that can work as a basket/box.i may have misread, so any experts in the feild, please chime in to clarify.
    so thinking forward, how could you forsee a development like this affecting bass cabs?

2. qts

qts

May 15, 2006
    Ijmuiden-holland
    Are you joking man!!. some of my friends say that i have no humor, or i can't laugh, but this is out standing man, when I wrote this, i get tears in my eys of laughing:D:p:crying::p:bawl::D.
    I bring this thread in the first page again, en hope some speaker experts will chim in:D:p:bawl::p:D:crying:

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I would get a big one and stretch it across one of those satelite dishes from the '80's and really bring the thunder.

4. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    I remember that article about "paper-thin, see-thru speakers, but can find anything either. You could carry you 8x10 in your gig bag!

5. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    Laugh on but maybe not so crazy after all:

"It sounds like these speakers aren’t just super thin, but able to produce very high quality sound and not use much power in doing so. If that’s the case they are surely going to be very popular across the whole sound industry."

Warwick University develops ultra-thin, flexible speakers

Flat, flexible speakers could make walls speak | Crave - CNET

Paper-thin Flexible Speakers from Japan - www.vubx.com

Researchers Create Paper-Like Flat, Flexible Speakers | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

6. Seemingly science fiction for a 15 year old who's now 50, but soon to be science fact...

The older article...

Flat, flexible speakers could make walls speak | Crave - CNET

The company...

A new generation of loudspeaker | warwickaudiotech.com

All of those new thin LED backlight LCD screens on sale for cheap before New Years, were the stuff of science fiction only 25 years ago. (Even something like Talkbass was science fiction 25 years ago.) The next great leap for displays would be flexible ones. They been done, but are still in the primitive stages.

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Three seconds on Google yielded this.

I'm too much of a slacker to do any more of the OP's homework...:atoz:

8. electrostatic speakers using mylar film have been used for years in hi fi.

9. qts

qts

May 15, 2006
    Ijmuiden-holland
    Sorry basscooker, my apologies and I'm realy embarrassed.
    So you see how sience is developing.
    Mabye we can use them as tweeter or mid speakers in the future, but for bass..............who knows

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'm sure some technology will come along that will render the speaker as we know it obsolete....who knows, maybe this is it.

Of course, by then they'll be implanting chips directly into people brains with the ability to control thoughts as well as images and sound and the entire need for physicsl speakers, visual displays and even individual thought will cease to exist. We can all argue over who gets to be the man behind the curtain......an arguement controlled directly by the man behind the curtain.:ninja:

11. OLEDs still too expensive, but clear when not in use and flexable, no back light.

12. JdoubleH

JdoubleH Cold, Daring. No flies on me. Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Ellerslie, Georgia
    I seem to remember Red Green making a huge flexible subwoofer (out of a baby pool and duct tape) for the possum van.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    :). I love Red Green.