1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flexible strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by blackreverend, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Hey guys,
    Tried looking for my old thread, but couldn't find it; I'm looking for opinions about what the most light and flexible set of flat wounds is. I'm kinda looking at two sets - chromes or ti flats - I do want the thumpy, mellow sound, but due to hand problems, I can't use heavy flats (currently have rotosound flats.)

So what are your thoughts?

2. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    get tapewounds dude. d addario chrome tapes

3. Already tried those; great feel, but the sound is a little "boinky" if you know what I mean.

4. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    TI's are reknown for feeling very roundish and flexible (while being smooth) with a unique flat tone... haven't tried them, will eventually...

I'm using chromes ATM... not what I'd call too flexible, but balanced in tone with a lot of high end for a flat.

EDIT: I had the chromes for my first try at flats... liked them, wanted more warm low mids, and a tighter E and A string...
    got a .45 - 1.05 Roto 77's . . . much more even tension than the chromes... but much more tension too. Good tone though. Back to the .45 - 1.00 chromes now. very low action... not too tense.

I'd recommend the T.I.'s as they have more give according to people who've tried everything.

5. I myself really love Sadowsky flats. Best flats I´ve ever tried

6. Clutchcargo

Clutchcargo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Illinois
    BR, nothing against chromes but I don't think you'll find an "easier to play" flat than the TI's. Many seem to find them too floppy but being a guitar player convert I think they feel (and sound) great. More expensive but I've got a set that's been on several basses and I think they sound as good as they did on the first bass about 3-4 years ago. Call me crazy but nothing compares in the easiest to play category. Good luck and sorry to hear about the hand problems, Lee......