Flexocor 92 Stark? string ID

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by basshag, May 10, 2019.

1. basshag

basshag Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2001
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I just bought some old Flexocor 92 strings in the TB Classifieds that were advertised as Starks. The E and A don't feel like they're heavier gauge than the more recent Flexocor 92 D and G that are already installed. I'm really happy with them and they're working great on my bass either way, but I want to make sure that I confirm what gauge they are before I buy replacements in the future. Can someone experienced with Flexocor Starks ID what gauge these are from the pics? There is a black band right before bridge end of the string, while modern Flexocor Starks look to have a darker band (can't make out the color from their online chart) on the peg end silks. Thanks!
    IMG_2552.JPG IMG_2553.JPG

2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Nashville TN
    those are normal mediums. Starks should have a green wrap at the end of the peg end seen here:

Pirastro - Strings Handmade in Germany since 1798

Francois Blais likes this.
  3. Sam is right!

4. basshag

basshag Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2001
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Cool - thanks guys!

5. Old thread I know, but I don't think OP's string is a flexocor 92 of any weight at all. They do not have the black band on the ball end...unless something has changed?

6. Good point!

7. elmer

elmer

Oct 1, 2004
    Finland
    They used to have that black ring way back in...?? . I have a very old set of Flexocors which have the black ring while the current ones don´t have it. I asked Pirastro once what is this black ring but didn´t get a clear answer. Maybe they´ve had too many changes during the years :) I think my set so old it is a pre 92 set of Flexocors.

8. If the strings are really old they might be the old Flexocore (before 92) which are nowadays called Original Flexocore.
    I have a high C from a few years before 1992 and it is red. But it does not have the black ring and the ball end is the same shape but chrome, not darkened like yours.