1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flexocor E&A with Permanent D&G?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by icanjam, Jun 2, 2014.

1. icanjam

icanjam

Dec 8, 2013
    Manitowoc, WI
    I've been looking to get new strings and have read and listened to everything I could find about every kind of string. I play arco and do a lot of solo work (in orchestra tuning) and I play in two orchestras. So far the only strings I've ever used in my life are helicore orchestra, and on my new carved bass I feel like it could get a better sound with a set of strings more tailored to my like likings. My carved bass is also a bit on the darker side tone wise.

I like having nice bright high notes in my solos, I do a lot of baroque and I think bright tones make basses sound more cello like maybe, I also like the sound basses make in solo tunings which I understand to be much brighter than in standard tuning. With that in mind I've pretty much decided on Pirastro Permanents. But, I also like having a bit warmer tone on low notes so I wonder if getting flexocor on the bottom strings would give me that but still blend well with the permanents. I'm not sure what I think of Spirocore, and I also don't like their price, and their higher tension.
    What do you guys think, do you think these strings will give me what I want? Is it okay to mix strings right away or should I potentially waste time and money on a single set of Permanents first and then see what I think?

Also this is kind of the sound I'm going for, he is playing a full set of flexocore in solo tuning for this video.

2. For a bright tone Corelli 370 series, but they are weak on the bottom strings (the 370F not too much). Even their TX tension is a bit less than Spirocore Weich 3/4, I think.
    The Pirastro Passione might be nice too, but also a bit expensive and not as bright as Corelli or Spirocore.
    Pirastro Flat-Chromesteel with a Spiro E should be brighter than the Passione.
    Spirocore Mittel S42 (4/4) strings or Spirocore Weich 3/4 might be a good idea for a (less than) 105cm scale. For a longer scale (or less tension on the shorter scale) S42W (4/4 Weich), but they feel a bit unequal in tension.
    I heard Permanents have some tension, probably similar to Spirocore Mittel 3/4, maybe a little bit less.

3. icanjam

icanjam

Dec 8, 2013
    Manitowoc, WI
    I was thinking about Passoines for the bottom but I think it will be a step to far into the warm territory and they won't blend well with the permanents. That's why I'm thinking plain flexocor, they'll be a shorter step from the permanents, but will still have a bit of a "rip" to the low end.

4. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Have you thought about spirocore/belconto mix? A great bassist named David Anderson uses that mix. He has a pretty dark bass

5. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Prescott I think

6. icanjam

icanjam

Dec 8, 2013
    Manitowoc, WI
    I think belcantos will be way to dark for my bass, but I'll look for some sound samples anyway. I have thought of spiros and permanents though but when I looked at string charts either the tension or gauges were really different while all the different Pirastro strings were much closer together.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  7. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
  8. One thing Pirastros are not is close together tension-wise.

Which Flexocors are you asking about? There are several sets, all of which have wildly different personalities.

The Original Flexocors are deep and dark on the bottom and screamingly brilliant on top. They also suffer from a floppy E string and don't mix well with other strings.

Flexocor 92 Orchestra gauge are more balanced but also suffer from a floppy E string. Flex 92 Starks sound similar and have a better balance of tension but are pretty stiff overall.

Flexocor Deluxe are probably the best of the three. Good sound, balanced tension, bow well, pizz well. They are not terribly bright on top, at least with my bass, unless you really lay into them.

9. icanjam

icanjam

Dec 8, 2013
    Manitowoc, WI
    I was thinking plain (92?) flexocors, are the top strings really that bright? Listening to them I thought they were just a tad brighter than the helicore orchestras but much much better sounding. That's why I'm looking for new strings the helicores I think sound pretty bad in thumb positions, very scratchy and thin.

10. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

Aug 30, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I have Permanents on the top two strings of my bass and Spirocores on the bottom. From what you are describing, I think you will really like the Permanents. They can be bright when you need them to be, but you can blend into a section with them when you need to. Once upon a time I played a mix of Flexicores on my bass, (The maroon ones and the blue-purple ones?) and they didn't really do it for me, but I can't really say if that would be the case for your instrument. I do remember the E being a bit flabby as mentioned above, and I would suggest something else down there.

Permanents might work the whole way across for what you are looking for. Their low strings still have a lot of clarity to them which is really nice, but just like the upper strings, they are not devoid of warmth. Most of the "dark" sounding basses I have encountered benefit from something a little brighter than you anticipate on the bottom. If the bass is already dark and you put dark strings on it, that can end up being too much. As for whether or not the Permanents would mix well with any of the many different varieties of Flexicores, (WHY does Pirastro have so many similarly named strings?) They seemed a little like apples and oranges to me, but it has been quite some time since I have had Flexicores on my bass.

icanjam likes this.
  11. icanjam

icanjam

Dec 8, 2013
    Manitowoc, WI
    Okay I think I'll start out with full permanents. If the flex e string isn't really good then I'd be looking at something like permanent e,d,g with a flexocor a, and I think that'd be really weird. Then I'll also have a better idea of what I like and don't like about permanents and it'll help me decide what strings I want to try next if I do decided to try something else.

12. Maroon silks are 92s, blue-purple are Originals. I tried mixing them too (92s on top, Originals on the bottom) and they did NOT get along...worst of both worlds, really. The opposite might be a decent set with the clarity of the 92s on the bottom and the expressive brightness of the Originals on top.

Flex 92 ADG with a Flex 92 Stark E is a good set. I have not tried the Permanents.

13. icanjam

icanjam

Dec 8, 2013
    Manitowoc, WI
    Just ordered a full set of permanents, I'm excited are you excited? I'm excited. Should be cool, I'm going to have the shop I got my bass from throw them on when I get them next week and it should all go down nice and smooth. Thanks everyone for your recommendations, considering everything I already knew and everything I learned from this thread I think this is going to be the best set of strings for me.

14. icanjam

icanjam

Dec 8, 2013
    Manitowoc, WI
    Just got back from the shop with my new strings put on, they sound and play great so far! But when I got home I noticed they turned the E string the wrong way on the tuner. All the other strings are tuned right and are wrapped up good except for the E! Is there any reason for this? Should I leave it or fix it myself?

Also the ball end (also on the E) is sticking out away from the bridge a half inch or so, I loosened the string enough to try and fix that but it seems the string is too thick to be able to slide up all the way otherwise, is this another problem I need to fix?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  15. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

Aug 30, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    In very rare cases, going under instead of over the peg is a solution to a bad break angle over the nut. If that hasn't been a problem in the past, then I would suggest correcting it.

icanjam likes this.
  16. icanjam

icanjam

Dec 8, 2013
    Manitowoc, WI
    Okay I will fix it thank you.

Just finished flipping it around, tried my best to not let in contact the side of the peg box or any other strings and dare say I did a good job. Now this is where it gets interesting, in the store I noticed my wolf tone was much less wild compared to my old strings, now that I've flipped it around it's about the same intensity as it was before. This makes no sense to me though, it's not like the tension at the box is being changed or anything, maybe it was just less in the store because it was a bigger room? But this discussion is kinda for another thread another day, when I play A on my D string I just make sure to let my open A ring free and like always, problem 90% solved!

17. icanjam

icanjam

Dec 8, 2013
    Manitowoc, WI
    Oops I mean the tail piece by the way. The E string doesn't fit snug against the tail piece, the bridge is fine. Just been a stressful day for me haha.

I'm thinking about squeezing it really hard with pliers to try and flatten it out a little bit and try and slip it through, or I think I might just leave it and see if the tension just pulls it through on its own. I really don't want to sand my tailpiece.

18. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

Aug 30, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    So, the ball end is/was out the front of the tail piece facing away from the bass instead of the back facing towards it? I'm confused about what's happening here.

19. icanjam

icanjam

Dec 8, 2013
    Manitowoc, WI
    No no no they're the right way, I'll post a picture, it's a problem I know other people have had but never me. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1403129630.952318.
    It's not the best picture But you can see the blue winding a little bit more than the other 3 strings.

20. icanjam

icanjam

Dec 8, 2013
    Manitowoc, WI
    Here's a top view with my pickup out of the way. A much better angle, it's just that I can't get the ball snug against the back of the tail piece. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1403129789.544085.