1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flexocore Originals v Spirocore Mittels

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by mikejdexter, Nov 23, 2018.

1. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

Jul 9, 2009
    UK
    Has anybody tried both sets for pizz and arc?-- for tone / volume / projection etc. Your views most welcome.

2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I play spiro mittles and have messed around on a bass with flex originals. Spiros are great pizz and hard with the bow. Flex are great with the bow and have very little sustain pizz.

3. elmer

elmer

Oct 1, 2004
    Finland
    Well, it all depends what are you looking for and what is your bass like. If your bass is dark and you want a powerful orchestra sound, Flx originals are great. On brighter basses the D and G can sound screamingly bright. The A is my favourite arco A with that floorshaking power. I don´t like the E and I´ve replaced it with a Flexoc. stark E string with good results. In fact on my bright bass I also have "regular" Flex D and G which are a lot darker than the Originals.
    For pizzicato the Origs are weird, D and G have a spirofeel and sustain, the A has an old school thump with little sustain and the E hasn´t got any :) They surely aren´t a balanced hybrid set.
    On a 3/4 bass D and G have a bit less tension than Spiro 4/4 and A and E have a bit more. Spiro 3/4 set has more tension than the Origs.