1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flexocors (92s) vs. Flex Deluxe

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Selim, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    I'm considering trying a 3 Flexocor 92 + Spiro E (or some other E - suggestions?) as a hybrid combination that will allow more emphasis on arco playing.

I have used the 3 Flex Deluxes with Spiro E in the past and while I liked this combo with the bow and pizz, I didn't like the tension (esp. pizz -- getting older and can't/don't want to work that hard).

I know the 92s are more supple than the FDs and wondering if anyone had opinions.

2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Flex 92 are not very bright and probably not great for pizz

3. Dr. Love

Dr. Love Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    I'm currently using the Flex Deluxe solos tuned to standard. I switched from the standard FD and it seems to keep most of what I like about them with a little less tension.

Selim likes this.
  4. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    The whole set?

5. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    I’m interested in the 92s (or something else) because I’m focused more on arco at the moment.

As far as pizz preference, I tend to favor a clear but darker sound as opposed to the growly, bright sound. So I’m wondering if the 92s would only give an “orchestra pizz” or do they have some of the pizz qualities FDs and if so, how much?

6. The 92's have a darker pizz than FDs.

7. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    i know you've been down the path before but why not evahs? ill let someone else talk about the flex cuz i haven't used them on my personal bass

Selim likes this.
  8. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Yes you’re right — and they have been on my mind but in the past, I have preferred the FDs and also Polychromes over the Evahs for bowing.

9. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I’ve been loving the Flex92s for arco (medium D and G, but I have an OG Flex A and Permanent E). On my bass, the Flex92 D and G don’t seem like they’d be too dark to be used for jazz playing. That said, I’ll check back in a number of months and let you know if that’s still the case, reason being that they haven’t been in my bass for all that long.

John Chambliss and Selim like this.
  10. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    There have been a few players of note who have used “orchestral” strings for jazz. Art Davis comes to mind. David Izenson also, I believe.

I also recall seeing a rider for Scott Colley from some years ago that specified string choices for the rental bass he would be playing — one set would comprise 2 Flexocors over Spiros (this would be from a time before Evahs, Obligatos, Zyex, etc.).

11. 92 Weichs. Surprisingly good pizz string, at least on my bass.

Sam Dingle and Selim like this.
  12. Dr. Love

Dr. Love Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Yup, whole set.

13. Caro

Caro

Jan 6, 2020
    I assume what you are calling Flexocor 92 is what Pirastro calls a plain Flexocor. I would go on their website to see what they have to offer. They have good, concise descriptions for each string, along with the specs. There are 3 gauges for the Flexocor-dunn,mittel,stark. There are kp ratings which give you an idea of the tension. I use the Flexocor mittel G. With the bow it sounds good. Pizz is dark but i like it. I used Original Flexocor G for years. It sounded a little brighter. On my bass with the Flexocor G is a Flat Chromesteel D and Spirocore A&E. This works good for me pizz and arco. I agree with Sam and Francois. They are not bright. Flexocor D is too dark on my bass. If you are looking for less tension, weich/dunn(light gauge) might be the way to go. Good luck. It took me years to settle on that set.

Selim likes this.
  14. elmer

elmer

Oct 1, 2004
    Finland
    Interestingly while Flxc. Dlxs feel stiffer the 92s have even more tension on G and D if you look at the specs on Pirastro´s web pages. I´ve had both on my 108cm scale bass and D and G felt too tight on both sets. What I´m going to try is a Flxc. 92 5/4 G-string. It has 27,2 kp tension on 106 cm scale while the regular medium 92 G has 29,4 kp tension.
    But now I´m enjoying EP Weichs which have a deep and dark arco sound and easy bow response with relaxed tension. They seem to fit for longer mensurs very well. But every bass reacts differently as we know. You´ll just have to try out...:)

15. Flexocors (‘92) are available in thin gauge, FWIW.

16. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Are Pirastro strings (Evahs excepted) on the thin side anyway?

17. I'm just suggesting a thin gauge Flexocor G instead of a 5/4 medium, since it's probably easier to find, and you'll have much less slack to wind up at the tuner.

Selim likes this.
  18. elmer

elmer

Oct 1, 2004
    Finland
    Thanks Francois, I have a thin (Dünn) Flxc. G and I didn´t like it much. It´s too thin to my taste and it still has more tension (28,2kp) than e.g. Spiro 4/4 mittel G on a 106cm scale. EPW G has 26,4kp on a 106cm scale. That feels great on my longer mensur. I believe the 5/4 is a bit thicker than the thin G but lets see.
    One good alternative if you want a steel string is a Perpetual G which bows great, is clear but not metallic and harsh, is 26,3kp and is a bit thicker than the thin Flxc. I liked it but the EPW G sounds deeper and fuller on my bass.
    @Selim IMO Pirastro steels are in the middle ground regardind the thicknesses of steel strings. The differences are small but e.g. many Thomastiks are a bit thicker and Corellis and such are a bit thinner.
    And Francois, I don´t mind cutting the strings a bit in a pegbox if they are too long.

Selim likes this.