Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flight case for a Steinberger "boat paddle" bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by xyllion, Jan 13, 2004.

1. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yes, I know people have take these on planes as carry-on, but I'd prefer to just toss it in with the luggage. Anyway, mine is an inexpensive Steinberger Spirit bass that has the boat-paddle shape. I'm looking for a sturdy case that I can put it in to fly on vacation with me. I don't even care if the case was originally intended for use as a bass case. I'm not afraid to cut foam myself.

Anyone have any ideas of where I can find a case? Maximum dimensions of the bass are: 39"x10.5"x3"

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I use a rifle case for my Steinberger clone. Drop by your local sporting goods store. They're about 48" long, and they make them in different widths for carrying a single rifle or two side by side, so you should be able to find one that'll work. I didn't cut the foam at all - I just squeeze the case shut and it holds the bass nice and tight.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Just be prepared to deal with airport security at every turn, as it will look like you are carrying/checking a weapon. It will be presumed. You might even want to paint "guitar" in really large letters on the case to help ease the stresses you will cause.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    That is one of the reasons why I want to check the instrument rather than try to carry it on. Also, I will be more than happy to open the case at their request.

Interestingly enough, I did travel with a standard size bass about a year ago. I didn't run into any trouble, but I was required to open the case at each airport for inspection. I certainly have no trouble doing this.

I appreciate the tips from both of you.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What about a flight case for a keyboard?

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    You know. I just started looking at that option. It appears that a 61 key keyboard case might work. I need to look at one in person to be sure.