Flight Case Repair in NYC

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by CBFinet, Jan 8, 2009.

1. CBFinet

CBFinet Guest

Nov 11, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hello everyone,
    I'm posting because on my last flight back to NY my Tuff-Lite case was damaged. It's not horrible and luckily the bass was okay but I do need to get it repaired before I fly again. The damage is mostly just a crack and weakened area on one of the bottom corners near the wheels. It looks like they had to have dropped it or had it crushed in something.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a place to go for fiberglass work near the city. I have a car so getting a little ways out of town isn't a big problem. I've called Gage and Kolstein and they will only work on their own line of cases so that's of no help. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I have to get some sort of estimate fairly soon because I have a limited window of time that Jet Blue will still pay for the repair costs.
    Thanks in advance,

Chris Finet
    [email protected]

2. There has to be a boat repair place around there somewhere... they should be able to do something with it.

3. It's actually really, really easy to fix yourself. Fiberglass repair kit is all you need. You can usually find the stuff at auto parts stores.

4. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    Just make out a phony repair slip and submit it to JB.

5. CBFinet

CBFinet Guest

Nov 11, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for the quick response everyone. I'm familiar with fiberglass work having done boat restoration projects etc. but I'm hesitant to do it living in a NYC apartment with the fumes that the resin throws off. I'm thinking most of the boat repair places might be kind of a haul from where I am in Manhattan and they might end up slabbing on way more fiberglass than necessary but I'm keeping that as an option.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has had repairs done on their cases in the city and what their experience was with that.

Thanks again,

Chris

6. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Hey CB, any competent auto body shop should be able to repair that for you.

7. Wil de Sola

Wil de Sola Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Wilton, CT
    New Standard Instrument Co
    If you have a car, there are a few boat repair places on City Island
    up in the Bronx. Otherwise, a car body shop would probably work.
    Good luck

8. e.g. - most especially a Corvette specialty / custom / body repair shop - ;)