Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

flight case

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Apr 20, 2004.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Whats up guys

Well i the time has come to start looking for a fligh case for my bass. The path id like to take is get a general flight case and get different foam cutouts for my different basses. Does anyone know if this is possible? also, does anyone know of a good source for the actual case. I looked on anvil and a couple others and they all look like they were around $400. I did see one of those coffin fligh cases on musicians fiend for around $150. Is that any good, let me know.

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

A buddy of mine used a keyboard case with foam cutouts,
    worked for him ...

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've modded/replaced the foam in my flight case to accept different basses that I've had from time to time. When I bought it used, it was cut out to fit a Ric 4003. I first cut theexisting foam to accept my Modulus Q6. Later, when I sold that bass, I replaced the foam and cut it to accept a Jazz, then another replacement later to fit a Stingray 5.

If you can locate the foam, it is best cut with a hot-wire knife that can be found on Ebay for about $29 - that's how the case manufacturers do it. The first time I did it, I used a sharp kitchen knife, and it came out jagged and looked amateurish. I later used an electric turkey carving knife with very good results. Then, I got some soft lining material at a local sewing store like Joanne Fabrics, used aeresol spray-can glue to coat the foam, then layed the material on the foam at let it dry - looks like a pro job.

I only mod or replace the middle layer of foam - the one that goes around the contours of the bass. The bottom and lid foam are solid sheets, and should stay that way for top and bottom protection.