1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

flight case

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Apr 20, 2004.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Whats up guys

Well i the time has come to start looking for a fligh case for my bass. The path id like to take is get a general flight case and get different foam cutouts for my different basses. Does anyone know if this is possible? also, does anyone know of a good source for the actual case. I looked on anvil and a couple others and they all look like they were around $400. I did see one of those coffin fligh cases on musicians fiend for around $150. Is that any good, let me know.

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

A buddy of mine used a keyboard case with foam cutouts,
    worked for him ...

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've modded/replaced the foam in my flight case to accept different basses that I've had from time to time. When I bought it used, it was cut out to fit a Ric 4003. I first cut theexisting foam to accept my Modulus Q6. Later, when I sold that bass, I replaced the foam and cut it to accept a Jazz, then another replacement later to fit a Stingray 5.

If you can locate the foam, it is best cut with a hot-wire knife that can be found on Ebay for about $29 - that's how the case manufacturers do it. The first time I did it, I used a sharp kitchen knife, and it came out jagged and looked amateurish. I later used an electric turkey carving knife with very good results. Then, I got some soft lining material at a local sewing store like Joanne Fabrics, used aeresol spray-can glue to coat the foam, then layed the material on the foam at let it dry - looks like a pro job.

I only mod or replace the middle layer of foam - the one that goes around the contours of the bass. The bottom and lid foam are solid sheets, and should stay that way for top and bottom protection.