1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

flight cases - help?

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by lomojim, Jul 25, 2012.

1. lomojim

lomojim

Apr 15, 2012
    I might need to fly a double bass to Europe for a couple of gigs.

does anyone have experience of travelling with flight cases who could help with the following?

Here's the situation - I've found a place which hires out flight cases which are built like tanks and weigh about 40kg with the bass inside

however - the banjo player (who else) booked our tickets on easyjet without checking the weights so I have a 32kg max weight limit to contend with (I called easyjet and although you can pay extra for multiple bags up to 50kg per person, the max for a single item is 32kg)

one solution would be to use a stryofoam hardcase which are lighter - however I am a bit worried it might not stand up to the rigours of travelling in an aircraft hold. Does anyone have experience of stryfoam cases and do you think they would be ok for a flight?

OR does anyone know of another source of flight cases that would be 32kg or under with a bass inside?

Lastly - another option would be to hire a bass locally, in Toulouse, France - has anyone hired a bass in Toulouse or know of a place nearby I could get one?

If not, its a case of lumping the cost & booking another ticket on an airline with more lenient baggage limits

Any help on this much appreciated!

James

2. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    From where you flying and to where?
    Enrico

3. lomojim

lomojim

Apr 15, 2012
    flying from london gatwick to toulouse

4. Styrofoams are the lightest and my experience is that the lighter the case the more carefully they handle it. That said styrofoams are not bullet proof by any means... I have done these kind of flights quite a few times with my 3/4 bass that fits in a styro at 20 kgs inc bass ... Never an issue to date, whereas previous fibreglass case which weighed 31 kgs with bass was damaged many times (tho bass was always ok)

5. lomojim

lomojim

Apr 15, 2012
    thanks, that is reassuring - did you take any extra measure, like taking the bidge off, or just put in the case as normal?

its a laminate bass so a bit more robust than a solid anyway

6. No I just put it straight in, but the bass is just the right size that I can get a very thin soft cover on the bass itself, so it has little extra protection. If the bass fits flush without a cover thats OK too as the styro cases usually have plush padded velvet like interior.

7. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    I agree with previous post, with that kind of case you should no have big issue, plus the flight is a european route so you shouldn't pay a big fee for extra weight.
    The other solutions is rent a double bass over there but I think that the first option is the best.
    Cheers. Enrico