Flight Cases/taking bass on plane/checking it-HELP!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CamMcIntyre, Dec 19, 2001.

1. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Hi everyone-i've got a question relating to the thing thats keeping me away from here. First Edition Band [ www.firsteditionchoir.org ] Do any of you guys know of any reasonably cheap flight cases or ideas on how i should take at least my pilot plus 5 on an airplane? I'd be flying from Indy [indiana] to ft.lauderdale florida on a flight that is not nonstop if that makes any difference. I just found out tonight that we're goin on a cruise/florida/bahamas trip. Do you guys have any suggestions on flight cases? Right now my cases are: Fender Tweed Hardshell [not sure if my 5 will fit] and a no name black tolex case. I'm kinda paranoid about this cause i've heard the tales about the basses arriving in peaces. BTW I will be checking these due to size and cause i don't want to risk being told no. So any suggestions on a brand/make/price of a flight case or if i should just duct tape my cases shut will be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. I dunno if things have changed since 11/09, but if the bass (in it's case or gigbag) can fit into the overhead, they'll let you.

Just get dimensions first and check with the airline (sometimes a couple of times, with different people to ensure you're getting the 100% story).

If you're gonna put it in the hold, get a proper flightcase (the sort that can handle an 8x10 falling on it without damage). I've worked in the freight industry previously - the handling of even fragile items is not terribly careful...
  3. My recommendation is for a Hiscox Standard Light Flight case! It cost me £69 (I guess about $100) and I managed to fit my Spector REX2000/5 in it (kinda smoothed off Explorer shape bass!)

My reasoning is that the bass survived a rear end car crash (it was in my boot!), the car and bass case were subsequently 'written off' (actually I couldn't get the case back out of the boot it was so badly jammed in there, but with much persuasion the bass managed to escape!)

So. get one of these cases if you can - I plan to get another to replace the one I lost!!:D
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I was told by Dan of Georges guitarshop Orlando that if you put a guitar/bass in with the luggage you need to slacken off the strings to avoid damage to the neck.
  5. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Thanks guys-i'll look into both of the ideas. Johnny-u know of any internet sites that sell those cases? thanks again people. Does anybody have any opinions about the SKB Freedom Bass 4 case-the guy from MF says that they're built tough for travel but i saw how some of the reg. checked stuff looked & what was in it [roommate brought PS2-the drive got messed up-not sure what was to blame]. thats all-thanks.
  6. you send the bass to me, here in coral springs fl, and i'll take care of the rest ok? but on a more serious note, when and where will you be performing?
  7. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    I travel with my bass constantly (4 and 6 stringed Modulus Quantums) and gigbag em' and carry them on the plane and store them in the overheads. If you get onto a Boeing 777, the overheads are to small for a bass, but there is a small place to fit it behind the very back row of passanger seats. Flying back from Puerto Rico a couple weeks ago and after all the 9/11 hub-bub, I still had no problems with it. I would strongly urge you not to check the bass in. If you do, tape that baby up...case locks are no help(!). I remember getting into Denver one day and there only being one lock still attatched to my case! Eek!

My friend, though, just flew into town from Seattle with one of my basses I had left there and both in Seattle and here in DoDah (Wichita) security thought it was a rifle. Yeah, baby, gonna shoot some heavy grooves right at ya! (in my best Bootsy voice).

Cheers all...
  8. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I tell ya what i know about where we'll be performing. Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Main stage, March22-24, march 21 possible evening concert at FIU or area high school. March 25 possibel performance in evening or shopping spree at Saw Grss Mills Mall. I just talked to a tech guy at a local shop today-i'll end up goin the ultra cheap route-SKB case + duct tape. thanx for the suggestions.
  9. I brought an Ibanez bass back from the States to the UK. They let me carry it on and they put it upright in a small storage area that I think they used for coats. It was in a hard case. They seemed to appreciate it was a special piece of luggage.
  10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I would NOT advise you to go the cheap route. It will be a lot more expensive if you have to buy a new case AND a new bass. If you want to take it on the flight, call ahead and make sure they'll allow it. If they won't let you store in the overhead bin, they should at least let you set it in the coat locker. If not either, then get an approved flight case...you won't regret it.
  11. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    if you are looking for a nice gigbag, I just ordered an undercover gigbag from bass central.. I've only heard goodthings about them, talk to Gard, he can hook you up
  12. In a cargo hold, unless the case is a real flight case made from ally and ply, it's bound to get smacked up.

Heck, even my Ric SKB case (which isn't the cheapest but ain't the greatest) has broken off and squashed bits from only loading in a van/car!
  13. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Thanks guys. While lookin at bass player, the ads in the back, i noticed a case ad. www.discount-distributors.com have an ata fligth case for $279, and a generic lesser grade case for $109...i'll split the difference or i'll go all out [read as get parents help on it.] If i get the $279 case i'll have spent $100 more on the case than i did on the bass-my pilot plus 5 i got on blow out :D
  14. One solution to save some bucks is to try and find a used Flight Case that will fit your bass. 2 of the Flight cases I use regularly were bought used, real Anvil cases, never any problems, just a drag to transport. .Think long term - a good flight case can be an investment that will serve for many years and protect more valuable/precious basses than the one you have now.
  15. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    good point. I got a Fender Bassman 200 amp for christmas so i get to save up for the flight case right now i've got $190 and have until late febuary to order [so i can have it by late march]. so 80-100 left to save up. I'm gonna try and find a used anvil flight case or order one from the website thingy. thanks. thats all
  16. Thank god I got my anvil case made last month, this thing is freakin expensive but worth every dime.

Weights a ton too. Got it in red.
  17. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    i take it wheels would be a good option to get?
  18. You don't really need wheels, it's heavy, but not that heavy, good exercise:D